What happened to this guy?

catbirdseat

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i actually understand the first nail being an 'accident' but nails 2 through 6 are more in the realm of 'die mutha fuka!'
Lummox, I think you hit the nail on the head. smirk.gif Those nail guns don't go off by accident. You have to push hard on them, unless the gun was illegally modified, which I am sure happens a lot.

i actually understand the first nail being an 'accident' but nails 2 through 6 are more in the realm of 'die mutha fuka!'
Lummox, I think you hit the nail on the head. smirk.gif Those nail guns don't go off by accident. You have to push hard on them, unless the gun was illegally modified, which I am sure happens a lot.

I accidentally shot my roomate in the head with one of those. They have a little "kick". The gun bounced up and back down, off center. The safety wire engaged, but the second nail missed the stud. The nail came out and plinked my roomate in the head. A glancing blow, but it bounced off his head and struck the wall leaving a mark in the drywall.Luckily, no harm done.

Recently, framing guns have started shipping with the "bounce nailing" feature disabled, and you either have to purchase a kit, or in the case of a few manufacturers, just move a switch to enable this traditional nail gun mode. In bounce nailing, holding the trigger down lets the gun to fire a nail every time the nosepiece is depressed, and working with the recoil and body motion you can put out a lot of nails in a very short time. Sequential trip (the new factory default due to liability concerns) means you have to release the trigger every time you want to fire a nail. Finish nailers are usually used this way, since you only want to put one nail, exactly where you want it, each time. In either case, it would be tough to accidentally put that many nails into one head. There's your construction geek lesson for the day. Geek_em8.gif

I have seen an x-ray of a guy with a 3-1/2" nail in the back of his head. His buddy was climbing down a ladder while holding the trigger down, and when the gun bumped the back of his head it nailed his hat to his skull. The guy was alright after it was removed though.

That's the x-ray of a guy who fell off a roof and landed on his coworker, who had a nailgun. Three nails in his brain, six total into his head. And he lived without much permanent damage.

Saw it on the news last night. wave.gif

I went to elementary school with a guy who, later on, was climbing down a ladder, holding a framing nail gun and somehow shot himself in the chest. I guess everyone on the jobsite thought he was joking around becuase it was very close to his heart. Someone finally called 911 and after an x-ray, they discovered that he had been born with a void or hole in his heart and that's where the nail ended up. If it hadn't been for the heart deformation, he would have been dead in less time than it took to call 911.

He apparently fell from a small height onto someone else who was using a nail gun. The cops talked to the guy with the nail gun but determined it was an accident.

I saw this on CNN this morning. The "resident expert" held up a tape measure and a drill bit and said, "You can see how long this nail is. It is pretty long. The guy is lucky, though he might have some neurological damage."

No shit.

I worked on litigation involving a nail gun manufacturer. A guy was descending a ladder with a nail gun in his hand and the trigger depressed. he accidentally bounced it on his knee causing the gun to fire a nail into his kneecap.

Apparently some nail guns use nails that have a specil coating on them to ease insertion into the wood. This stuff is pretty toxic and did some serious bone damage to his kneecap.

So the accident cause was not the nailgun, per se, but the fact that Isidro was working on a roof without correct fall protection.

And the fact that his co-worker thought he was being attacked by ninjas and tried to defend himself with his nailgun.