FS or Free: Soloing Devices + free T1s and more

dberdinka

Soloist: A good device for hands-free top roping. Lead on it if you dare. $20

Solo-Aid: A good device for solo aid climbing. Requires hand feeding of rope. Can be set up for hands free top-roping. $20

2 Pickets: The standard 24" MSR stuff. Great psychological pro for steep snow climbing in the Cascades. $15 for both

FREE!

Scarpa T1s: Fits a size 10.5 or 11 mens foot. These are the solid black version from 5 yrs ago.

Wild Things Freney: A well-used pack for alpine climbing. Foam pad back panel. Ice axe tubes and crampon patch. Bivi collar etc. The top pocket needs some stitching but it's got life left in it.

Grivel 70 cm ice axe. A well used general mountaineering axe with a forged head.

PM or emial at dberdinka (at) yahoo (dot) comr. I'll ship the stuff I'm selling for cost. Best if free stuff is picked up in B'ham or I'll be in Seattle Friday.

Darin

I'm in B'ham. Will be in Seattle Friday.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware of how one would use a soloist (wren industries or petzel) for hands free top roping! I have one and used it for many years and don't see how you could rig it for hands free top roping, though it works good for relatively hands free leading.

Obviously posted by someone who hasn't toproped with an ascender. If you top rope straigh lines, like columnar basalt cracks etc. the ascender moves directly up the rope as you climb and you don't really fall at all. There is no slack in the system if done properly. You just hang there. I use a static line as well so it takes abrasion just fine. Ther is no more shocking to the system than speed jugging a line. The real danger is not shredding the rope, but the ascender accidently coming unclipped from the rope somehow. However, if you stay in control and climb lines that are nearly straight then there should be no problem. I have used this system to toprope probably over 100 pitches. And know some old timers that have been doing this for decades. I also have never heard of the system as described here of failing, although I would not discount the possibility. So the real ? to Mr. Montana is show me the money! I've never heard of the rope shreding using this technique. Again we aint talking about lead climbing here, but in control top roping on nearly straight up routes.

I've seen (and can't find right now) a nasty picture of what a Gibbs Ascender can do under load to a rope. I'd worry about shock loading your anchors (easy to do!) if you use a static. But I suppose it might work if all you ever want to climb is columnar basalt rolleyes.gif

what kind of fall? I do not see how you could take a "fall" top roping with and ascender on routes that don't wander all over the place. THere is no falling cause there is no slack so it is just like jugging. I don't know many people that top rope when the conditions are such that the rope is iced up! I know that ascenders can come off the rope and can damage the rope under certain situations, but using in the manner I have desribed I don't see how. So no one has yet said they know of a situation where an ascender failed while using for solo toproping. I know there are people that use this technique all over the country cause I have personally seen several individuals at multiple climbing areas doing it.

what kind of fall? I do not see how you could take a "fall" top roping with and ascender on routes that don't wander all over the place. THere is no falling cause there is no slack so it is just like jugging. I don't know many people that top rope when the conditions are such that the rope is iced up! I know that ascenders can come off the rope and can damage the rope under certain situations, but using in the manner I have desribed I don't see how. So no one has yet said they know of a situation where an ascender failed while using for solo toproping. I know there are people that use this technique all over the country cause I have personally seen several individuals at multiple climbing areas doing it.

I've seen several individuals using static rope to lead climb. I'm not going to do it.

Here's how you "fall". You reach the crux, and are to busy to feed the rope through the ascender, because they never feed as well as you'd like. Now there's a couple extra feet out, plus no tension in the system - and since your using static rope, you get nicely shock loaded TR anchors.

The problem with a Gibbs isn't the teeth, it's the bottom end of the housing. Hang on one.

I TR on a gri gri in the same way bill,

As well, I use the gri gri for aid and free solo leading.

Also, I totally agree with the stupidity of a "fall" using the system Shapp was describing. If you have enough weight on the end, the rope will feed nicely.