What "They" Say About Us.

Dave_Schuldt

Are you kidding me?

You are using CC.com as an example of a good online community?!

CascadeClimbers is widely regarded as a bunch of immature, big talking

young ones by the climbing community. Sure there is occasionally some

useful content on there, and a few clueful climbers, but by in large

the spray has completely destroyed any credibility the site has. It is

hostile to female participants and newbies, incredibly clickish and

pretty much encompasses every BAD characteristics of web bulletin

boards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's really important what "THEY" say SO HEY! Get it together around here people and start acting like mature and responsible climbers. Some examples to emulate!!

John Long...well Ok nevermind.

How about Ron Fawcett? Well that doesn't work too well either does it?

John Dunne? No, too hostile.

Don Whillans? No, too hostile.

Tom Patey? No, too insolent.

John Bachar? Hmmm...Too stoned...

Ron Kauk?...Please...

Scott Burk? HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Scott Fischer? Ooops...my bad.

Mark Jenkins? Didn't he fall asleep on Shivling and almost freeze to death jumaring? He might need to thaw out some brain cells first...

Aahh forget it. Whoever *THEY* are *THEY* are fooling themselves. Fucking knobs.

Are you kidding me?

boards.

who is the 'they'?

Are you kidding me?

boards.

who is the 'they'?

Sorry, can't tell ya. Otherwise black helicopters will show up and "they" will take you away.

Are you kidding me?

boards.

Are you kidding me? Climbing is an immature, big talking activity that's only for the young. That's why I keep doing it, even though I'm in my 40s. Anybody in the "climbing community" that has a problem with that should get a life.

who is the 'they'?

This was a response to a post I made to the listserv of BBTC.org, a local mountain biking club. I had put in a plug for CC.com, saying it was a good model for what our website could be. The guy (yes, he is male) who responded with the above unfortunately happens to be the main webmaster of our site.

Schuldt, I gotta thank you again for turning me onto CC.com, but still.... I gotta agree with what someone else said recently in some other thread about how you put the green smiley on EVERY single fuckin thread you post. It IS pretty gay.

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

[quote I had put in a plug for CC.com, saying it was a good model for what our website could be. The guy (yes, he is male) who responded with the above unfortunately happens to be the main webmaster of our site.

This guy ought to hang around summitpost.com and see what sort of traffic it gets. It's fucking lame over there. Some bullshit here, yes, but it is avoidable. There is a great host of information on this website if one only looks in the right places.

You guys are all mean!! cry.gif This website is the BOMB.

Myabe the other websites are just jealous! Big babies. They're all stinky doodoo heads. They are jealous, cuz over here it's all articulate and shit. So next time a website gets in my craw and starts talkin shit with it's stupid PIEHOLE, I'm gonna be all like: "WhatEVER. CC.COM ROCKS!!!!" rockband.gifrolleyes.gifwazzup.gifwave.gif

Are you kidding me?

CascadeClimbers is widely regarded as a bunch of immature, big talking young ones by the climbing community.
True.

Sure there is occasionally some useful content on there, and a few clueful climbers, but by in large the spray has completely destroyed any credibility the site has.
Also true, in my opinion.

It is hostile to female participants and newbies...
There is some truth to this statement, as well -- though most of the hostility is reserved for people who are cc.com regulars.

incredibly clickish
Yup.

and pretty much encompasses every BAD characteristics of web bulletin

boards.

Here's where I disagree.

In my view, the guy is damn near 100% correct in his assessment except for the overall conclusion that he draws. But, whether you like it or not, there are lots of different ways to interact with climbers and cc.com is only one site of many. Thanks, all, for wasting my time for three years. See you at the picnic.

There are a lot of big talkers, but I disagree that the average age is younger than other sites. I'd say it's older. Just go look at RC.com. The average is in the lower 20's, if I had to guess. 70% 17-19 year old boulderers, 20% 25 year old sport climbers and 10% old school trad climbers.

I've read this board for a long time, and only recently de-lurked. I moved to Washington in 1998, and, knew nothing about climbing in the state. This board has set me up with partners, provided me with critical information about routes and conditions, and even provided me with interesting discussions about using gear (with a focus on WA style climbing, whatever that is).

I have a job and a family, so I don't have much time to mess around looking for stuff to do on the rare weekend that I have free. I get to armchair mountaineer and live vicariously through your trip reports. The TRs on this board fucking rock! There are some people doing great routes here! I love to read about them.

FWIW, most of the spray on this board is contained on the Spray board, so if I don't want to read through that crap (or participate smile.gif) I don't have to.

The coolest part is that everything is archived and searchable. If I am going to say, Castle Rock or Rainier, this weekend, I can spend an hour searching for info on the routes I'm interested in and learn about conditions, gear, errata like tricky belays. Since I am a weekend climber, I love to get this beta. It fucking rocks.

I'm also on the BBTC list. And it is a good resource too for learning about local rides. But their website and their list just don't compare to cc.com for real-time beta, research and general skylarking. I visit cc.com at least three days a week in my most busyist weeks. I go to bbtc.org maybe once every three months. They should be so lucky to have half the community on the board they are planning that we have here.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y