Snowboard descent from Camp Muir

lsmith

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have boarded in my leather mountaineering boots and that is fine, but if the route permits (ex. Helens), I hike in my snowboard boots and accept that my feet will get a little wet - bought some gortex socks to take care of that...also some 4 point crampons for icy stuff....I probably wouldn't do that on a more demanding route. Kind of a novice, but it seems that the split board would be a good compromise....unless I can master the AT, which has been a steep learning curve for this previously dedicated boarder.....

I usually board in my leather mtneering boots but you may get some pain in your calf. For my board and boots, the highback is a little shorter than the leather boot. On heal side turns, the top of the high back bites into the calf. I had to shove foam into the back of the boot (while riding) to pad the highback.

Koflach used to make a very cool leather mtn/snowboard boot. was basically a very tall leather mtneering boot. Sadly they haven't made them in 10 years.

Try standing in your bindings with your mountaineering boots before going out with that setup. My burton custom bindings only work with a few boots since they have such high backs to them. I'd just wear your snowboarding boots on the hike, since it's just up to Muir\ or take an old pair to use.

Board - Prior Split 172

Boots - Asolo AFS8000

Liner - Snowboard Boot Liner or Garmont Therm-Fits (still adjusting the fit), with a power-strap stitched to the portion of the liner that extends above the boot.

Binding - Strap bindings

I've tried AT boots with plate bindings (great climbing, terrible ride), soft-boots with standard binding set-up (great ride, seriously sketchy climbing), and now the above set-up. The above is perfect for split-boarding and mountaineering... climbs well, and rides just like a soft boot - nice and surfy, and the higher liner savalves from saves your calves from getting bashed ny the high back.

Oh, yeah... and get a split-board. It's the only choice. Snowshoeing sucks ass.

rockband.gif

you can rig ankle stiffening things from the collars of an old pair of ski boots. kina like what granit gear offered awhile back. i first saw the homemade kind 20 years ago being used by a freeheeler.

Those thing were originally called jet sticks; they came out in the 70's so folks could stiffen up their leather alpine ski boots.