More deaths: Foraker

Alasdair

Climbing Fatalities on Mt. Foraker Identified

Three Alaskan brothers lost their lives in a climbing fall on Mt. Foraker this past week.

On Monday, June 17, 2002, National Park Service (NPS) rangers confirmed the deaths of Kevin Strawn, age 27, Anchorage, Travis Strawn, age 21, of Wasilla, and Colby Strawn, age 15, of Eagle River, Alaska.

The brothers began their climb of the 17,400-foot peak on June 11. Their last reported contact was made by CB radio on June 13 when the climbers reported their location at 10,500-feet on Mt. Foraker.

Although the climbers were not overdue, a pilot with the group’s air taxi flew over the the Southeast Ridge on June 16. The pilot did not see the climbers, but noticed evidence of avalanche activity in the area.

On June 17, basecamp personnel notified NPS staff at the Talkeetna Ranger Station that they were concerned about the climbers. At 3:30 p.m., NPS dispatched the Lama helicopter with two NPS rangers to search for the climbers.

The rangers found tracks near the 10,500-foot elevation of Mt. Foraker. The bodies, still roped together, were found at approximately 4:40 p.m. on a slope at 8,500 feet. It is unknown what triggered the fall.

The bodies were recovered from the mountain on Monday evening with the Lama helicopter.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All deaths in the mountains are tragic but this, in my opinion, has an extraordinary level to it. Can you imagine what these brother's mother (and father) are feeling right now. Reminds me of the WWII story of the Sullivan brothers and the basis for "Saving Private Ryan". My mom was extremely concerned when I guided my father and brother up Rainier a few years ago. This is truly a nightmare come true. I can't empathize by sure can sympathize. [Frown]

We went to Foraker a couple weeks ago to do the SE Ridge and it was in heinous condition. Sultana didn't look much better. My bet is on the SE ridge in this case.

Truly a tragedy of horrendous scale. My brother was killed in an accident when I was 17 and my mom went to pieces. My heart goes out to their family.

Someone once said something along the lines of "its a tragedy when a parent outlives a child."

yes they were on the SE Ridge. I shot the two pictures below in May The ridge looks pretty strait forward except for the Heinous ice fall about 1/3 of the way up. I have not seen a picture of it looking this broken up before. I am sure it is much worse now. That route is fairly well known for avi danger. RBW do you have any more recent pictures of the route? Specifically the icefall section. I am hopeing to climb this next year.

http://www.nwclimber.com/climbing/trips/hunter2002/Scan70.jpg

http://www.nwclimber.com/climbing/trips/hunter2002/Scan71.jpg

This is tragic. My wife's step mother's daughter's first husband died in Foraker in the late 1980s. Not sure which route. Losing a son would be unthinkable; to lose all three would be the end for many of us. What else can you say.

John Sharp

quote:

Originally posted by Alasdair:

yes they were on the SE Ridge. I shot the two pictures below in May The ridge looks pretty strait forward except for the Heinous ice fall about 1/3 of the way up. I have not seen a picture of it looking this broken up before. I am sure it is much worse now. That route is fairly well known for avi danger. RBW do you have any more recent pictures of the route? Specifically the icefall section. I am hopeing to climb this next year.

I personally don't have any pics at all yet. My partner does and I can check with him. I can tell you that when we were there the route looked WAY worse than your pics indicate. The lower third below the icefall was bare rock the entire way and there were hanging glaciers towering right above the fall line. If you want more detailed information feel free to email me. Its a great line and I was pretty bummed that it was messed up already. Conditions in late May of this year were worse (i.e. melted) than when I left Kahiltna in early July, 1999. Incredible.