alti watches

marylou

It's time to replace my alti watch.

Wondering what people use and like. I don't like the Suuntos (too big) and I don't like the Timexes, as they have a weird glitch I don't want to deal with. So not huge, and fairly easy to calibrate and use are plusses. A compass might be handy, wonder if those digi watch compasses are reliable enough to use.

I'm sort of interested in the Nike Oregon Series alti, and the Highgear watches.

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they are big but the suunto are realiable and accurate watches. I have used mine for over 5 years now with no problems. Get your nice small watch but don't be surprised when it busts on you while you are navigating in a white out. Avocet were nice n small but notoriously unrealiable. And Nike? They make shoes. How reliable could their watch be? Consider how long the watches have been around.

Edited by genepires

. . .I don't like the Timexes, as they have a weird glitch I don't want to deal with.

What is the glitch? confused.gif

If you are at, or near sea level (or below I suppose), and the barometric pressure changes enough that the watch thinks it's below sea level, it gives you an error message, and you can't recalibrate the alti until you move to higher ground or the barometric pressure changes.

Obviously this won't be a huge problem once you are in the mountains, but it's just stupid enough to make me want to get a different watch.

Gene, I think the Nike watches are made by Citizen.

Edited by marylou

marylou:

I have a Suunto and it rockband.gif

I also have a Citizen dress watch...same company that apparently makes the Nike watches...it is SUPPOSEDLY Citizen's best watch. It is a piece of shit, pure garbage, junk. hellno3d.gif I swear the more expensive the watch the bigger the piece of shit that it is. cry.gif

Just received a new Nike Oregon series alti watch as a gift. I also have a Suunto (whatever the one everyone else has) watch. The Nike one that I have is actually fairly big (same as Suunto about) but thats a good thing in the mountains. It is a bit heavier than the Suunto, its metal. The buttons are stellar on the Nike watch, not hard to find like Suunto. I think they would be easier to use with gloves on too. So far (its only been a week) I noticed a real big difference between the two and thats the altimeter accuracy. Leaving them both sitting on my desk this week as the weather changed, the Suunto did its usual gain of about 300ft due to higher pressure, while the Nike watch stayed about the same. I guess they have programed the thing to account for barometric variation differently from altitudinal variation. This is a major improvement as far as I am concerned and I will probably use this watch from now on. Maybe these newer really expensive Suuntos have this built into them. I was skeptical about a Nike watch at first too but its not like they are actually making it, its probably made by citizen or timex. In short, this watch rocks! the_finger.gif

Nike watches are made by for a Japanese Company (Citizen) in China for importation and sale in the U.S. by a US sporting goods company (Nike). In contrast Suunto watches are made in China for a Finnish Company (Suunto) for importation and sale in the U.S. by a U.S. sporting goods company (Wilson).I got the Nike in North Bend for $100 2 years ago (after my Thommon got jacked) and like it but, you have to go to Nike to change the battery.

The Nike one that I have is actually fairly big (same as Suunto about) but thats a good thing in the mountains.

I guess they have programed the thing to account for barometric variation differently from altitudinal variation. This is a major improvement as far as I am concerned and I will probably use this watch from now on.

1) Why do I want to drag beig heavy crap into the mountains (unless I'm a Mountie?)

2) Barometric Altimeters Measure Air Pressure.

I have an Avocet Vertech that I like. It's not nearly as fancy as the Suunto's, but for $115 you can get one with a ski strap, that's nice for winter.

The Nike one that I have is actually fairly big (same as Suunto about) but thats a good thing in the mountains.

I guess they have programed the thing to account for barometric variation differently from altitudinal variation. This is a major improvement as far as I am concerned and I will probably use this watch from now on.

1) Why do I want to drag beig heavy crap into the mountains (unless I'm a Mountie?)

So you can see it at 2:30am and so you can actually find the buttons when you are cold and tired and don't want the instruction manual.

2) Barometric Altimeters Measure Air Pressure.

No shit sherlock, I said it accounts for these things separately "Patented Zero Drift technology - provides extremely accurate altitude information, virtualy eliminates barometric drift."

This is the one I am talking about

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34043967&memberId=12500226

You can change the battery yourself too.

All I'm saying is I like it and it works better than other altimeters I've used.

I bought the Highgear Axis (the smaller one). Be careful with that one, as some of the first batch had some sort of problem with inadequate shielding, which made the sensors sensitive to static electricity. The watch performed fine until you put it on your wrist. Then after about 2 or 3 hours it would give all sorts of strange readings, like saying the temp was -38 and that you were at 18,000'. When I wrote the company they claimed to have fixed the problem and offered to exchange.

I ended up exchanging for the one with the little biner...the Altitech II. My thought is that all of these watches that have temperature funtcions are affected by your body temp when you wear them, and I see a lot of people strapping the watches to their packs or whatever, so why not get one that's made to do that. I've used it in the mountains a couple times now and the accuracy has been as good (within 30 or so feet) as the people with Suuntos.

Also, I've never experienced barometric drift. Even at home it can sit on the shelf for weeks at a time and never change altitude regardless of changes in weather.

yeeeah boyee!

image05.jpg

I be wearing my Thommen with much flava. The digits come correct, no front'in. Will it ever stop? Yo -- I don't know. Turn off the lights and I'll glow.

To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal

Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Pretty good for a white boy, eh?

I have an Avocet Vertech that I like. It's not nearly as fancy as the Suunto's, but for $115 you can get one with a ski strap, that's nice for winter.

I ruined one of them there Avocets by wearing it in the rain. It got wet on the inside, not a good thing. madgo_ron.gif

The Suunto Altimax is great for alpine climbing. rockband.gif It can easily be operated with gloves on, and it is easy to read. The three alarms are great for ensuring an alpine start. It is nice to be able to operate the watch without having to de-glove. It is very cold resistant, and easy to calibrate. As for size (I assume it is weight that is the concern?), it only weighs 1.9 oz, and even less if you remove the strap and wear it around your neck on a thin cord. For something as critically important as an altimeter, it doesn't seem to be too heavy. IMHO.

As far as drift is concerned, it doesn't seem to be a big problem, for me. I just note the altitude when I reach camp, and recalibrate the next morning before I start climbing. Anyhow, even if your altimeter had drift prevention built in, one would want to check the drift correction in the morning in order to know what the weather is doing.

The Altimax is a triumph of function over fashion. thumbs_up.gif

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

I just bought a Highgear off of Ebay. My friend bought one and he has been happy with it. That's why I bought mine on Ebay and the same watch.

I never use the temperature or compass functions-even on my previous Suunto. I just want an altimeter, time, date, alarm, and light on my watch. I don't use anything else.....these watches these days do way too much.