Best @ Minnehaha

Dane

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dihedral. So damn good that it's polished now. It's also a great study in natural selection. There's always someone that gets about half way up it in their street shoes. If you've been on it before you'll know that's a bummer place to start asking yourself questions.

People actually climb "Step left to Boston", amazing.

Bob has it wrong in the '90s guide book. Stepping right out of the top of Dihedral puts you on the "Razor's Edge".

It is a complete and independant line, top to bottom, usually top roped. It was originally run out on lead using some really bad natural pro. Later bolts were placed so it could be lead safely from the ground up by following the entire arete, some idiot chopped the bolts boxing_smiley.gif. Sporty lead with a run out, bouldering start even with the 4 stone colored bolts in place. I wouldn't want to fall into the Dihedral corner on that lead which is where you would end up I suspect. It wasn't something I would lead again without better pro and decided the climb worth several well placed bolts . A little harder IMO than Ron's climb which is several feet to the right.

"Step left to Boston" actually connects face climbing starting just left on the bottom of Dihedral and running into to "Screaming finger" just above the crux 1st roof and was led on sight with poor natural pro to the SF second bolt and finished on SF. Hence "step left". It is short but added to SF's line it makes a moderate and steep face climb top to bottom of the main face.

It was getting really hard to fine "new" moderate rock at Minne in the late '80s. These are two climbs worth getting straight on paper and getting out on to climb.

Seeing how I started climbing in the early nineties that would be how I screwed it up. I follow dihedral up to where it narrows and cruise right onto the top of Razor's edge. Thanks for the info. It is a great way to finish the dihedral.