Best Route at Chimney Rock Idaho?

Dane

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter, did you do the hand crack or the finger crack 1st pitch? How did you finish the last pitch? Pictures?

This one is hard to miss but the first and last give a few options.

abb.sized.jpg

Edited by Dane

We had a little play on words going on that one smile.gif Relieved the roof got easier instead of harder...much to our surprise it actually turned out to be fun. This for a bunch would didn't have to have "fun", to have fun.

Here is Gwain on the FA of "Fun Roof".

agp.sized.jpg

Trying to figure out the moves and the right pro placements to actually use the tips crack of "Illusions".

ahf.sized.jpg

and a better look at the undercling and LB crux pitch of "FFs".

ahl.sized.jpg

Gwain again below the lightening bolt crack of "Sticky Fingers" on the FA.

aha.sized.jpg

Jay following the finger crack, 2nd pitch, of Tsunami with the crux roof crack above on the FA.

ahg.sized.jpg

Max getting into the finger section on the 2nd ascent of Yahoody.

agz.sized.jpg

and the hand crack that got him there.

agw.sized.jpg

No, lucky to get one trip in a year to the Selkirks these days. Still worth the trip for the cracks on Chimney's east face. One of the last times in we did a new route further along the crest line, the west face of Silver Dollar. Just thought someone might enjoy the old pictures and get a good laugh at the EBs and lycra.

Cracks are actually even better that they look.

I'd have to agree. Free Friends is probably the best one. However, as far as link ups go. A good moderate way to get to the top would be E Face Direct to the South prow, then cross over to Fun roof on the big ledge for your finish. Mix up the scenery a bit and never get too hard. Dane, Maybe when you come over for Fulton's reception you can make your trip to the 'Kirks for the summer. bigdrink.gif

• 1 month later...

Bout time I found this thread: great one, especially with the pics. Dane, thanks.

From conversations I've had with friends over the years, yes, consensus is definitely Illusions/Free Friends to be considered as "best." I don't know many who've climbed Eye of the Tiger...certainly not me.

Compared to what happened on this stone in the 80s, this gaper is still waiting for the next generation to come along and up the ante.