BASE Jumping at local crags/peaks

Tommy

Recently the north face of Mt. Baring and the Upper Town Wall at Index have been “opened” as BASE Jumps. “Opened” means that the first jumps of these objects were made. While it is unlikely that there should be an encounter of climbers on the wall when jumping Mt. Baring, we are curious as to how climbers would like BASE jumpers to communicate to them when intending to jump a wall that climbers are on?

I myself am a climber, and have advised the small local group of jumpers that they should clearly communicate to any climber in the area of their intention to jump, and ensure that any climbers on route are in a position as not to freak out and fall as the result of a body flying by overhead. I also have advised them that if any climber in the jump path should indicate discomfort with an overhead BASE jump that the jumpers should respect that, and either not jump or wait until the climbers indicate that they are out of the way.

I would like to solicit any other feelings that climbers posting to this site may have about a peaceful coexistence at our crags between BASE jumpers and climbers (similar to that of Yosemite or Moab). Any ideas, advice, or opinions are appreciated and will be passed on to the BASE jumping community.

That said we are always looking for new jump sites both front and back country. If you have ideas on jumpable sites please let us know. The criteria are at least 300 feet high (the higher the better), vertical or overhanging, and a large enough landing area (i.e., about 200+ square feet and obstacle free, or knee-deep to deeper water), and preferably an exit area where it is possible to take a few running steps to get good clearance from the cliff.

Any Beta is much appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just don't hit us on the way down man!

Seriously, I think just communicating that someone is jumping would be reasonable enough for me, and obviously be careful not to kick anything down when you take off.

Thanks for posting here so when I hear someone announce "hey I am jumping so watch out" I don't think someone is suicical, well, not completely anyway. [Razz]

[ 06-18-2002, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

Speaking of Mt Baring I heard thru the grapevine that rockfall has basically eliminated the 1st few pitches of the big Burdo sport route and it is presently unclimbable but that BB is planning to add new pitches not in the line of fire. This info 2nd hand so take it with a grain or two of salt.

Some dude BASE jumped pretty much over our heads on the monkey face last fall. First he chucked his backpack (not his 'chute backpack, his other backpack) off to test the wind, which gave us a start considering we heard him call "rock!" only after it passed by. Then a few minutes later, with no warning at all, a body flew by accompanied by loud "whump" noise of the 'chute opening. Really fun to watch, especially from our perspective. He told us his plans at the base, was very polite and informative, etc. I don't think there is much chance for the jumpers themselves to impact a climber, but chucking backpacks kind of gave me the willies. And I don't want to take a rock in the teeth, either.

You don't need to worry about telling us beffore you jump. Perhaps just scream as you are jumping.

I've had jumpers jump past me on the Capitan. Pretty cool to watch. the worse thing that could happen is a climber's heart rate would race into the stratosphere.

All you guys need is 300+ feet of vert. to overhanging stone? If that is the case, we've all seen a lifetimes worth in the cascades. Provided you are willing to climb and or rappel to get to takeoff points.

Sounds like a cool sport.

Have fun

Jens,

I have been climbing in the cascades for 13 years and have seen a lot of stuff we could huck off of, the problem is that landing areas are few and far between... We need a good safe landing area and possibly alternate landing areas...

As for the climbing/rapping... that's not an issue, I got into BASE with the idea of a quick way down from climbs...

Climbing is still my number one passion.

Thanx

[ 06-20-2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:

Jens,

I have been climbing in the cascades for 13 years and have seen a lot of stuff we could huck off of, the problem is that landing areas are few and far between... We need a good safe landing area and possibly alternate landing areas...

As for the climbing/rapping... that's not an issue, I got into BASE with the idea of a quick way down from climbs...

Climbing is still my number one passion.

Thanx

Like I said to BASE jumper D-Dog a few weeks back, East side of Slesse. Perfect launch from the halfway bivi, overhanging 1000' drop and nice flat slabs to land on (if the pocket glaciers gone)

quote:

Originally posted by MysticNacho:

Some dude BASE jumped pretty much over our heads on the monkey face last fall. First he chucked his backpack (not his 'chute backpack, his
other
backpack) off to test the wind, which gave us a start considering we heard him call "rock!" only
after
it passed by. Then a few minutes later, with no warning at all, a body flew by accompanied by loud "whump" noise of the 'chute opening. Really fun to watch, especially from our perspective. He told us his plans at the base, was very polite and informative, etc. I don't think there is much chance for the jumpers themselves to impact a climber, but chucking backpacks kind of gave me the willies. And I don't want to take a rock in the teeth, either.

That flying Dog was yours truly. I really do apologize if the backpack startled anyone. It was actually all but empty (had in it only a pair of blown out Anasazis, empty water bottle, sweater, and harness) and I swear I yelled rock a couple of times but you aren't the only person who heard me yell only after the pack was airborne. From previous experience, I knew I could throw the empty pack over the trail and in the talus, but folks on the ground might not have been so sure about my tossing accuracy [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Us Oregon jumpers work really hard to partner well with climbers. As a climber of 17 years myself, I try to let other BASE jumpers (who, for the most part, have no climbing background) know about climber ethics re falling objects, etc. Hopefully we are doing a good job - particularly at places such as Smith where there are lots more climbers than jumpers.

Glad to hear from Tommy that Index upper has been opened - been on my list for a while. Baring I've not yet jumped, though I have driven all the way there only to be turned back by dangerous fog conditions. [Mad]

I've had only a few climbers get really mad when we jumped near them, due to the surprise factor of seeing a body fall through the air I guess. Yelling "rock!" doesn't really prepare someone on a multi-pitch route for a big old Dog whizzing by at terminal (head-down, of course), but I don't know what else to yell. Perhaps "Doooooog!" would work?

Seriously, any other climber feedback on BASE jumper etiquette is always really appreciated. We do want to be good partners in the mountains, so do tell us when we aren't doing a good job ok?

Peace,

D-d0g

ps: Tommy, I got a good chuckle out of your characteristics for jumpable objects. No disrespect intended, but down here in PDX our list would read more like:

1. Higher than 150 feet or so unless PCA, in which case 125 or more is just fine;

2. Not too underhung, depending on how big a running exit you can get (e.g. CP in the Gorge);

3. Landing area optional, but preferred. Steep, anklebreaker talus does not technically qualify as a "landing area," but can be used in a pinch. Trees less than 20 feet high ARE considered a "landing area." Generally, "landing areas" are reserved for newbie jumpers unless the winds exceed 20 mph at exit.

4. If landing in water, it is required that the jumper smoke the crap out of the jump. If the canopy is fully inflated before hitting the water, the jumper dumped too high and must repeat the jump.

That's how we do it down here - credit the undue influence of Aussie jumpers for our warped sense of perspective [Razz]