Crags and Sport Routes

MTNEER

Hi All,

We kicked off this season’s effort at the Hamma Hamma River Rocks. We had superb weather. It was still a little early for Black Wall (the big wall next to the road) as there was some water running on it. So we went one level up, to what we are tentatively call Bubble Wall (lots of basalt pillows). Bremerton John and his partner Jeff fired off a nice route there, onsight trad. John’s initial impression was that it was in the 5.8-5.9 range. A very nice effort.

Sunday, Ann and I cleaned and prepped a nice 20-meter route on the short wall just east of Black Wall. It feels like it will probably go 5.7 or so. Then we added TR bolts to the boulder just across from Black Wall (River Rock) and to the last one upstream (the one with the right going roof route). The roof route is going to be pretty hard. When we left Sunday evening, I felt a bit like a kid being drug out of the candy store. This is going to be a great area.

I learned a few things. The very black pillow basalt is very hard and bolts I had been using won’t work. So my bolt kit will change slightly. I confirmed to myself once again that, when attempting new route in the pillow basalt - hammer, knife blades, and Lost Arrows should be in your kit. Pillow basalts are rather grudging about providing pro. A season of not climbing makes a huge difference (had my shoulder rebuilt last year).

We plan to go back to the Hamma Hamma the second weekend of May. After that, maybe some of the higher areas will start melting out.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hamma Crag definitely has potential. Easy access and lots of variety. I guess the only question is how much of it will demand bolted pro. I think the only placement I had much confidence in was the bush I slung a runner around. I posted a (not-so-good) photo of the climb on my gallery page if you want to see it. I don't have my own website, so I don't know how else to post an image directly to this message.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey! smile.gif How you do 'dat?!

Find your picture in the gallery (or any picture posted on the web) and right click on the image and click on "Properties"

At the bottom of the little window that pops up you will see the URL address of the image, something like "http://www.somewebsite.com/images/blah123.jpg". Select that address and copy it (Cntrl + C). Now make a post and select "image". A little window will pop up. Paste the image's URL into that window and hit return.

wave.gif

Or, click HERE to get the cc.com FAQ page about how to do the same thing.