assmonkey

Please note that Dr_Flash_Amazing's current avatar is a scan of what appears to be the back cover of D.R.I.'s 1982 EP, "Violent Pacifications."

You kids out there would be wise to school yourselves in the way's of D.R.I. They were climbing 5.11 back before 5.11 even...uh...I mean they were playing metal-core back when the current crop of Nu-metal bands were suckling momma's teats.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw DRI at the Livingroom in Providence Rhode Island in 1990. It was MADNESS.

My first hardcore show, and the place was packed. The first band gets on stage and the crowd literally exploded. People are beating the shit out of each other, the sound board in the back was getting pushed off the table, skinheads pummelling longhairs, dude knocked unconscious, bleeding from his scalp with his eyes rolled back in his head while he's dragged to safety, stage diving, head walking, with people getting pushed, beaten, and kicked up the brick walls on the sides of the pit like water up the sides of a glass, and we're fighting the bouncers to get up on the stage. Total mayham. Then DRI comes on.

If you've never been to a hardcore show back East, your mind is incapable of understanding the level of aggression and chaos that ensued. None of the flannel clad, bump into the guy next to you, sorry, excuse me, touch and tickle you find out here.

Pummel the guy in front of you, closed fists to the face until he hits the ground or flees in pain, swing your fists like a cyclone of human destruction and beat away the rest of the crowd as they seek to destroy you. The band whipped the crowd into a frenzy like we were their puppets, and then they changed the tempo, the beat kicked in, and we "danced".

You know the songs, and your ready for it, but when the band kicks it in, you're about to suffer, and anihilate, like never before.

There's no escape. All your anger and aggression comes to the surfaces and you spend it on your fellow man, beating and kicking them to a pulp until you can take no more, until you have nothing more to give, and then you fight and grovel and cower your way to safety, if you can, or until your dragged away from the madness by the guy that beat and kicked you to the ground, as he upholds the code and pulls you out from under the trampling boots.

I never saw the world the same way again, and I show shows that were even madder (Slayer, Agnostic Front, Sick Of It All, etc.), but DRI was the first.

cracked, you're a stupid little bitch. Go start a drum circle. You'd cry like a little girl if you looked through a window and only saw the shit I've lived through.

When the Accused played at the Channel in Boston, a REAL riot broke out. The Skinheads went ballistic, and the band stopped playing and BEGGED the crowd to stop beating the fuck out of each other. One skin was wailing on his fellow man with a cane he had smuggled in by faking a limp. Thousands of dollars of damage to the club, cops, chaos.

When Murphy's Law played, we rushed the stage, and the band played on while we beat the crap out of each other on and off the stage, with people climbing on top of the people on the stage and jumping off onto the people in the audience, who were still beating the crap out of each other.

I saw six Skinheads simul-pummeling a hairbag at Slayer, with his head being beaten from 360 degrees. I saw a kid take a roundhouse kick to the temple from a skin in Doc Martens at a Sam Black Church show. If someone was crowd surfing, we'd bash into the people holding them in the air so they'd hit the floor.

Have you ever heard of "Head Walking"? You'd get up on stage and literally walk off as far as you could on the heads of the people packed in at the front of the audience, until you invariably fucked up and fell on top of them and down to the concrete.

I broke ribs doing flips off the stage and onto the floor when Gorilla Biscuits played. I've had my teeth punched through my lower lip. You'd fight the bouncers to get up on stage, and put your foot through the grill of the PA when you ran and dove off into the crowd, back flips, front flips, who cares if anyone catches you, knock a mircophone over for good measure. I literally vaulted over the back of one of the guitar players in Biohazard when he bent over in front of me during a bit of mayham. I ran and threw my hands on his back and VAULTED head over heels into the crowd.

The first time I saw Agnostic Front, this Skin "Castle Neck", named after his tattoos, crouched on the edge of the stage and beat the face of anyone that dared to get near him. He ended up beating his girlfriend to death and killing himself.

Your simple little mind reels at the reality of the situation not because you cannot comprehend why someone would do these things to someone else, but because of the thought of someone going to a show like this knowing they were about to get their ass kicked hard. You cannot grasp the despair that produces this kind of abuse/self-abuse.

But the best part of the whole thing was that you could kick the shit out of someone, you could stand there on the edge of the pit and LITERALLY kick and punch people as hard as you could and know that they WANTED you to do it, and have them tell you later, after the show, when you shook their hand, that that was the best show they had ever been too.

You're a soft pussy, gortboy. There's a reason why we called it "Hardcore". rockband.gif

You cannot grasp the despair that produces this kind of abuse/self-abuse.

Oh fucking please.

Is your spoiled little bourgeois middle class life too mind numbingly boring for you. Teen age existential angst getting you down? Do us all a favor and stick a shotgun in your mouth and get it over with. Those of us that actually enjoy life will do fine without you.

jja thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Willfully lame and ignorant as fucking hell...too bad Doolittle wasted time at those concerts when he/she could have been cranking or doing something productive!

Gets me that society rewards and worships such crap on a regular basis. What the fuck... hellno3d.gif

Mr Dolittle. You are a joke. You rail against the violence of the world, then you post the bilge above. You run around posting on this board like Chicken Little, then you chest beat and tell us all how you've 'lived through some shit' rolleyes.gif.

I suspect you have fried your brain with recreational drugs and are beyond redemption. hellno3d.gif

Whatever.

Punk was very improtant to many of us.

I had a great family, middle class everything.

That did not change the fact that there were 10 skateboarders/punks in my hometown.

Punk was our way of telling our whole town to fuck off.

When I started to listen to punk, It gave us the courage to stand up for myself in a redneck world.

A place where you recieved a beating for just being different. We took our licks, and in the end...

kids were free to express themselves as freaks, stoners, fags or punks.

Jello, wherever you are, thanks.

Just as I suspected, a bunch of Mercer Island pussies, blonde dreads stuffed up into your rasta hats, driving dad's SUV with !Tchkung! on the CD player.

"I like to 'mosh' in my flannel shirt and ripped jeans at the Soundgarden show, like I saw on TV one time. Oh, excuse me, I didn't mean to bump into you so hard."

I came from a working-class background, where you actually have to WORK to get by. If you got out of high school without getting your girlfriend pregnant, and got a job sorting lumber or stocking groceries, you were a success. Meanwhile, you're mired in the Megalopolis, and you can't see out. Ignorance is rampant. Racism is rampant. People solved their problems with violence.

Our towns had suicide epidemics, three kids, four kids, sometimes eight kids a year killing themselves because they could not see a way out. In the space of two years at my high school (300 kids), we had a kid hang himself in his closet, a kid shot himself in the chest with a shotgun, and a kid shot himself in the head in front of his freinds and family right in the center of my town after a four hour stand-off with the police. My friend Dennis drove his car into a tree at over a hundred miles an hour.

Punk was a way out. I bought a Minor Threat album, and it changed my life. I started to listen to bands that could articulate the despair, started going to shows, went to the big city, and realized there was a whole world out there, and that I didn't have to become anything but who I wanted to be.

Go to a show, get pounded to a pulp, pummel your friends, listen to your favorite bands. We didn't need drugs or alcohol, we had the scene. Go home, some drunk knucklehead wants to fuck with you, and you brush it off. You go your own way. It wasn't about the violence. Watch "Fight Club", and you'll get a sense of the spirit of the whole thing.

For cracked, in the words of Ian MacKay:

compete, compete, do it for the boys

empty barrels make the most noise

you're always on the move

you've always got something to prove

what the fuck are you fighting for?

is it because you're five foot four?

you better be happy with what you've got

you 'll never get any more

you laugh at a man when he tries

you're trying to make up for your size

to you life is a rivalry

keep a step ahead of me

small man, big mouth

FSU, East Coast style, bitches. the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Just as I suspected, a bunch of Mercer Island pussies, blonde dreads stuffed up into your rasta hats, driving dad's SUV with !Tchkung! on the CD player.

Actually I live in Tacoma, am naturally bald (I shaved it for ease of use and lice prevention), I own my OWN damn SUV (TYVM), and I have Skinny Puppy and Infected Mushroom and Fugazi the CD player.

BTW I find it offensive you misspelled Ian MacKaye's name.

"Oh the Drama!"

HCL.gifthumbs_up.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Muffy's .02$

I got the despare thing when I was young had no power in my life, severely abused drugs and wonderd form one horibly abusive relationship to another. I sought angry music and angry unhappy people to share it with. Sure I had my reasons. Both my parents were alcholics I had been sexualy abused, raped... and a myriad of other miserable experiences.

but I grew up. I spent some time in therapy and learnd to not be a victum of life. bad thing still happen, but I no longer seak them, I no longer feel helpless. I still like loud rocking music at times. but my life is not focused arround the misery that I created and experienced at that thim.

don't get me wrong... I had a great time. but that is not the person I am any more. I do not seek any more to harm others or to harm myself.

I did at the time because I needed my outside to some how match the chaos and misrey on my insdes. I don't have to try for that any more, I have found an amount of balence and peace that at one time i did not believe exixted.

to each his own. and maybe that makes me a poser because I did move on. but thats okay. I am at peace now.

Muffy's .02$

Bravo Muffy!

Thats cool and the essence of what its about. Were all constantly growing, adapting and finding a balance. Anger is an awesome emotion when its kept tabs on. Interesting overall thread that showcases some of what makes us ( especially climbers) so intriguing. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I'd be pretty desperate and pissed off too if I only knew how to play three chords. hahaha.gif

People like Doolittle look for a way to transform their emotional pain into physical pain, hoping that suffering through the physical will carry the emotional away with it. Of course this is a delusion of the first order. It's called wallowing in your own misery.

Calling someone else a pussy because they have the fortitude to face up to the mean old world instead of wallowing in their own despair is ridiculous. If anyone is a pussy it's the stupid fuck who sucker punches someone at a show or the 'tard in the pit who wants to be beaten. Rather than facing the world on their own terms, they wallow.

Do you think you're the only one who's had a hard life? The only one who was an outsider or stuck in a desparate situation? Get real man, life isn't easy. Some of us decided to say "fuck you" to society, forge our own path, and be successful by our own measures of success. Personally, I didn't need some racist skinhead fuck to beat on me to purge my emotional pain. I chose to turn the pain into learning, the learning into action, and the action into success.

The "things you've lived through"...please. Go try armed combat sometime and then come talk to us. The worst ghetto in this country is a fucking picnic compared to large parts of the world. You grew up in a no future blue collar town, BFD. Now grow up and be a man.