[TR] Mt. Hood- Reid Glacier -> Ramona Falls 4/22/2004

gapertimmy

Climb: Mt. Hood-Reid Glacier -> Ramona Falls

Date of Climb: 4/22/2004

Trip Report:

Springtime in the Oregon Cascades, amazing, nuff said. Soak up the stoke folks, call it chestbeating, but the past 2 days, bliss. After a fine day, scuse me, EPIC day of powdur (in april?!) at bachy on wednesday, I had the distinct please of joining Thrashador "from the Portland branch" and his canine pal Jane for a tasty little tour on Hood.

This here little tale begins at T-Line, of course after dropping off a car at Ramona, and ensuring keys were in pocket, anyhow, it begins at T-Line with a fun lil skin up the South Side. The storm from the prior few days was evident, and some crown fractures could be seen to climber's right of the hog's back and to the left of crater rock, debris running well below i-rock... who ever said the south side ain't got slides?

3113ssideslab.jpg

crown and debris

First stop, illumination saddle, it was really purdy!

3113illumination.jpg

The first little drop onto the Reid was fantastic, some nice wind blown pow, steep, deep, and cheap, just like hoodoo (or skibowl?). This was starting to look realllly darn good, and kept getting better with each turn! For me, this was my first trip to this side of the hill, and I was in awe of the beauty, and the snow, and the views, just fantastic.

The freshies were extremely variable on the glacier, a mix of tough windcrustiez, to tasty wind blown, to corn, and back again... nevertheless, the turns, the views, and the company were super.

3113getsum.jpg

jane and thrashador rippin

3113helensyocum.jpg

Yocum Ridge and St. Helens

3113lines.jpg

blissfull spring skiing, our lines

Caught a bite to eat, enjoyed the views, played some fetch with the pup, and then strapped em back on to finish out the tour. Got a little ding, actually a big ding on the boards while skiing too close to the ridge, oh well, small price to play for being plab. The freshies of a few days before turned into some super slushies low down.

The further we descended down the ridge, the heavier the love got, and da bombs from the tree's rained down over head... in the oregon cascades, your freshie luck can change that quick!

After that, well, the rest of the tour was a haze of alder, devil's club, steeeeep dirt rapelling [insert sound clip of timmay cussing here] and guerilla 'schwakin. Thrashador's keen navigation skeelz got us back to ramona falls and an easy hike back out to the car (which we had keys to!).

Fantastic time, amazing place, good memories!

Gear Notes:

GPS key!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the road was open all the way up to the trailhead?

The gate opened Tuesday. We hoofed it much further than I have in the past and as a result I wouldn't recommend the tour anymore this season.

Shwacking can be fun though! Check Timmay entering the alder & devil's club patch that took us about 40 min. to navigate:

2135ramonabush.jpg

If only his ma had heard the filth spewing from his piehole. hahaha.gif

And a big THANK YOU to the couple who found my gps on the road out and brought it to us in the parking lot. You folks rockband.gif!