Chair Peak

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bro- I didn't want to steer you wrong since conditions seem to change daily sometimes. So I went up there again after I posted the 1st time.

The good news is the snow settled down and I didn't see any additional downward snow migrations...I approached it on skis with no hassles.

The bad news though is the same as all year...it's really your call though. If not anything, go look at it, and if you don't like it climb The Tooth. Which actually looks quite good now...and pretty dry...hint

Mike http://alpinelite.com

Everyone has their opinions about what is in shape and what's not. Best to just go up and look at it yourself.

In my opinion the route as a "winter climb" is out of condition. Loose slushy snow puncuates the route... Spring conditions have began in earnest in the past 1.5 days with prior unsettled weather in the pass and surrounding areas (Gold Creek drainage for example).

In general for the area...

in the past 7 days there has been at least 14 inches of new snow with one significant dump of 8 inches as low as 4 thousand feet. Mixed ice and rain conditions and then yesterday/today africa heat. Yesterday from my different vantages I counted at least 20 seperate slides on different aspects. Mostly point releases probably triggered by solar radiation. However this included 2 slides on SE facing slopes that appear to have originated in the trees probably from a terrain trap somewhere. Others triggered by snow sloughing off cliff bands from above.

The moment you step off any 'trail' plan on postholing to your waist or bring your snowspeeders. Granite mountains major gulleys (south facing) had natural releases in every major gully system. I saw cornices collapse on Silver peak.

Overnight feels like spring...