[TR] Garibaldi- N.E. Face 4/22/2004

Ced

Climb: Garibaldi-N.E. Face

Date of Climb: 4/22/2004

Trip Report:

I'm planning my yearly trip up brohm ridge to climb the N.E. face. We've spent the last three years in a white out without seeing the route up. With the good weather this weekend were making a run for it. Anyone been up recently to give a conditions report? Is the Bergshrund starting to open with all the warm weather?

Cheers

Ced

Approach Notes:

Brohm ridge.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did the Neve yesterday. Were those your tracks we saw...across from Brohm, and then a bootpack straight up (!! - you guys don't like switchbacks?) the Warren to the summit? Then ski down?

If they weren't your tracks then you should go soon. Conditions are great. The 'shrund was move covered than I have seen in years. Didn't look like an issue at all. And the skiing looked OK too. If we had had more time, we probably would have been tempted to scoot up it too because it looked so good (we were only out from the day).

That was us, what a great day on Sun. Camped at the bivy on Brohm ridge, clouds at bedtime with -4 overnight; woke up to clear skies at 0330. Not a crevasse to be crossed all the way to the summit. Burgshrund(s) are filled in very well leaving the straight shot up. Snow varied from mid boot to thigh in depth with the majority of time sinking in to our knees. My partner did all the work busting a trail up. The final head wall had some thin snow areas but easily climbed and decended. There was a small cornice on the ridge which left a short area below the bergshrund exposed, we were down & out of its danger by 8:30. I was surprised and impressed by some of the skiers who skied down from the summit!!! bigdrink.gif

Cheers

Ced.

Thanks for the info Fern

Snow is down quite low still, We parked on the Cat lk. side when we hit the snow. We were about 1.5 - 2 km from the Mid station but with the warmer weather all weel it should only be about one km.

Have a good trip, I still think that climbing over the pinnical on the ridge is the crux of the route.

Cheers

Ced