Parents' Nightmare

Dwayner

What would you do if your child came home one day and said, "Mom...Dad...I'm a sport-climber."?

a) ask yourself, "where did we go wrong?"

b) seek counseling individually or as a family.

c) love 'em anyway.

d) send 'em to Big Lou

e) all of the above

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say, "Finally, we have a rope gun in the family!" and send them up all the stuff I'm too weak/chicken to lead, even on bolts. Then we'd hit the Calanques where I'd show them how sport climbing is really done. Hell, I defy ANY of you anti-sport climbers to spend a couple of weeks in the glorious South of France and continue to hate the activity.

sk, you're right on.

Most of us crackheads clip bolts now and then. I am a self admitted sport wanker, or more politically correct, sport climber. Clipping bolts is super fun, but when I lead bolts I keep it in the back of my mind that traditional climbing is certainly a more noble and purer form of ascending a rock face. It's all about having fun, but clipping bolts is now where near as noble as leading from the ground up (IMHO).

Sport Climbing IS NEITHER!

Flame ON.

I am ashamed to relate this true story: This morning over breakfast on of my kids said - and I am not joking - "let's go hiking on Mt. Rainier" Impressed that he knew Mt Rainier was hiking I am nonetheless fearful where such behavior will lead. Tonight it's off the the climbing gym with him!

easy for you to say PUNK! ever had an alien in your belly for 9 months and then birth 9 pounds of satin spawn that don't sleep for the first year... NOT A GOOD OPTION! once they are old enough to walk they are much better. NO STARTING OVER [Wink][geek][geek]