burning stuff

mtngrrrl

OK, this is a really strange question, and I'm going out on a limb here, but I figured all of you who have lived here for a long time could help me out.

I need to burn some stuff. No, not evidence of a crime or a pile of racy love letters. They're the effects of a recently-deceased loved one. I don't have a fireplace, nor do I have a barrel in my back yard. It's mostly a few articles of clothing. I live in the city of Seattle, and I thought that if I even tried to burn the stuff in my back yard, it would make a bunch of attention-grabbing smoke. If I have a bonfire at the beach, is it unlawful to burn synthetic clothing? Will anyone notice and/or care?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBS, seems like you're missing the point here. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not simply a method of disposal, it's ceremonial. Burning the belongings of a deceased loved one is an act of permanence to move on. Not to mention the disquieting chance of seeing someone on the street who looks like the person you've lost, only to realize it's someone wearing their clothes...

it sure is a strange question.

It can often take a very hot fire to burn items not intended for burning. I have had experience with this in cleaning up an alpine research station where we had a propane fueled asphalt torch that still would take hours to completely reduce some synthetic items to ash.

I suspect using a regular campfire pit or fireplace would result in an unrewarding experience if you cannot achieve a hot enough burn.

If it was my burden to dispose of some personal items in a permanent way with some measure of ceremony (I don't know if this is your situation) I would probably encase them in cement and drop them in the ocean from a boat.

I wouldn't go to the beach to burn that stuff, as you noted it will definitely draw atention. I would go up into the mountains someplace. Some white gas or gasoline will help with the harder to burn items. Add the gas to the fire using small paper cups thrown cup and all to the fire and pour the gas into the cup away from the fire.

Thanks to all the responses. The items are not usable. It's the clothing worn by the person during the accident. I appreciate the supportive comments. Yes, it's cathartic and ceremonial, and I suppose somehow preferable to putting a small pile of blood-stained clothing in the trash. Sorry to be graphic, but those are the facts. I'm finally able to deal with it, and I'm not sure what to do. Some of the clothing is natural fiber, but most is synthetic.

Sucks.

Anyway, thanks because I at least know a fire might not even work. I was hoping it would be like accidentally catching your tent on fire: there one minute, then poof, gone the next. The cement idea is intriguing, though I've never worked with cement. Maybe I'll bury it.

I'm sorry for your loss mtngrrl.

While CBS (and others) are correct, that burning might not go so well, that you have blood stained clothing from the accident calls for something better than the trash, or even encasing in concrete. Fire has a visual sense of finality, and the materials are reduced to ash (ashes to ashes, dust to dust....). Perhaps a fire is worth the small possibility of problem.

Make it a good one and burn on.

I've also felt loss recently. My parents, Dad less than 4 months ago, Mom two weeks ago. Sort of puts a greater sense of mortality upon me.

Mtngrrl,

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a good thing to do what helps for you to find closure.

If you go with the cement idea it doesn't have to be encased. Use a cement block or some such weight. Tie it on good with a line that won't rot away soon, then package it up nice (wrapping paper or whatever is appropriate). Take it out to sea and have a little ceremony.

If you go with the burn, a little trick that may help that I use when starting fires in wet wood or difficult to burn stuff. Fill a soda can a little less than half full of gas. Then lay it down on the ground before you start the fire. It needs to be on it's side with the pop top on the top side. When it catches fire it will burn for quite a while and conrollably. The gas inside slowly boils and the gas makes a little torch at the vent. Don't reach in there and stir it around until after the gas has burned off.

Thanks mtngrrl

The pop can might be a good idea, but please do be careful.

I've never done that trick before and I'm certainly a bit wary of handling open containers of flammable liquid around fire (or in fires in this case). Half full sounds like a bit much, maybe do less. The can should work to control the release of vapors, which is good. Be careful on the start, don't spill much getting it in place, and get away from the whole thing BEFORE it gets going.

wave.gif

Hey T, Your right about bein carefull. The way to do it is to partly fill the can, then place it, then put your kindling or what not around it, then light the the fire. The fumes then ignite nice and controlled.

I find that a half can burns about 15 plus minutes if yu don't build the rest of your fire too big.

hey mttngrrl you could always use a more powerful accelerant than white gas, namely something like powdered magnesium? that will burn super hot for a while. ask a chemist, not me.

or you could take it to a biomedical incinerator or crematorium.

You need Fuel and oxidant, Propane works fine as fuel a bit of KClO3 Potassium Clorate or salt peter will do the job if you can't get Lox (liquid oxygen). Sorry for your loss, If you are uncomfortable with these materials it may be best to consult a professional, as above.