WSP "rolling slowdown"

gslater

This news story mentions the WSP doing a so-called "rolling slowdown" to get people to drive slower during a hailstorm. I don't see why that's news; they seem to be in a perpetual rolling slowdown mode. Few things piss me off more than state troopers driving a few MPH under the speed limit (not that it ever stops me from driving at a more reasonable speed...).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This news story mentions the WSP doing a so-called "rolling slowdown" to get people to drive slower during a hailstorm. I don't see why that's news; they seem to be in a perpetual rolling slowdown mode. Few things piss me off more than state troopers driving a few MPH under the speed limit (not that it ever stops me from driving at a more reasonable speed...).

What the failed to mention is I bet their "rolling slowdown" probably works 1 out of 5 times. The other 4 times they probably create a pile up. rolleyes.gif

As far as I recall, we don't have many hailstorms around here. If they do a rolling slowdown once in a while to prevent stupid Washington drivers from killing themselves, it is probably not altogether a terrible thing.

What really bugs me, however, is how SPD blocks off streets and controls traffic around big events like football and baseball games. What a bunch of B.S.! I grew up in Ann Arbor, where the stadium held 101,000, and was always sold out, and they never saw the need to mess up traffic with anywhere near such massive roadway closures.

Ever try to drive anywhere near the U Dist/Montlake when there was a Husky game? They won't let you. Wanna go somewhere in the Sodo area when there's a Mariner's game about to start? Forget it. SPD traffic control sucks.

The Massachusetts HP used to do this even on good weather days. You'd see a line of MHP vehicles, all abreast, with a HUGE traffic jam rolling in lock step behind them.

yeppers, back in the good old massachusetts-miracle-mike-dukakis days yelrotflmao.gif couldn't leave that state quick enough !!

As far as I recall, we don't have many hailstorms around here. If they do a rolling slowdown once in a while to prevent stupid Washington drivers from killing themselves, it is probably not altogether a terrible thing.

What really bugs me, however, is how SPD blocks off streets and controls traffic around big events like football and baseball games. What a bunch of B.S.! I grew up in Ann Arbor, where the stadium held 101,000, and was always sold out, and they never saw the need to mess up traffic with anywhere near such massive roadway closures.

Ever try to drive anywhere near the U Dist/Montlake when there was a Husky game? They won't let you. Wanna go somewhere in the Sodo area when there's a Mariner's game about to start? Forget it. SPD traffic control sucks.

I agree, which is why when I go to a Mariners game I park a good mile away, outside the traffic control zone. Even with the greater walking distance, I can be home much faster than if I had parked right next to the stadium.