REI Down Bags -- Kilo Plus +0 or REI El +10?

ashw_justin

So I want to buy a down bag, and from browsing the selection at REI I narrowed it down to these two:

REI Kilo Plus 0 deg

700 down

43 oz

nifty little compression sack

$240

REI El +10

700 down

49 oz

El waterproof/breathable shell

$240

I'd be using the bag with a lightweight bivi sack. Right now I'm still using the crapo REI one, because it is super light.

I know they are rated for different temperatures, but hanging on the rack the +10 actually looks like it has more loft than the +0. I'm guessing they're about the same really. So the real difference is for 6 ounces, you get the waterproof/breathable shell. I would look at other manufacturers but I have to take advantage of that 20% dividend deal.

So what do you think? Which one would you go for? Or does another company sell a similar bag that I should look at?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub Kilo. It's my 'year round' bag, but I'm wearing all my clothes (minus goretex) in winter. Both Jeff and Sky have the Kilo Plus. Friggin' gapers.

Shit, Sky didn't tell me he had a Kilo Plus. I think I'm gonna bail on climbing with him now... hahaha.gif

I have a +15 bag (now granted, it's a marmot, so maybe their ratings are more conservative than REI's) and I use that all winter long. I have never been cold save that night I got my entire bag wet and frozen in boston basin a month ago. That was operator error smile.gif

I'm wearing long johns, my Golite Coal jacket (polarguard, not down), and as many hats as I have. I've got the Coal along anyway, since it's great for rest stops and the like, so I figure I'll wear it to bed and use a lighter bag.

I mean, I just want to be like Josh. hahaha.gif

My gaper $0.02:

A 15F bag seems pretty versitile for winter/spring/fall use, provided you're camping at reasonably low elevations in winter. In winter, you can combine it with your parka (as a blanket), wool hat, a homemade nylon liner, and a hot water bottle, and you should be good down to really cold temperatures. In spring/fall, leave the nylon liner at home, and just use the 15F bag.

The exception is summer. I just refuse to lug the 15F bag up the trail in summer, and instead carry a 30F bag.

Bottom line-- no bag is going to be perfect for year-around use in the Cascades, unless you are either (1) truly hardcore, or (2) don't mind carrying around 8 ounces of needless insulation in the summer.

Incidentally, 49 oz is pretty darn heavy for a 10-degree down bag. You should be able to find one for under 40 oz.

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

Silk sleeping bag liners are really nice, and work well both on adding a few degrees of warmth, and one keepoing your bag a little bit cleaner. They are pretty spendy (about 70$ if I remember right) so it might be worth it to try and talk someone into sewing one up for ya. Even with a liner, and not going out/up into the very worst of weather (call it 3 seasons plus) , I still need 2 down bags.

WM mountaineering highlite. 16oz and 35degrees. I used it on my 4 day inspiration-forbidden tour the other two, including a 7600 bivy and an 8300 foot bivy. With clothes I was comfy warm. Downside is they are pricey once you start going with the ultralight fabrics and super-loft down. If you are doing more summer than winter stuff, I'd go with a superlight back then get some nice synth big bag on sale for winter stuff.