Awaiting the Rapture???

dberdinka

An interesting article on the prism through which some Americans (15% shocked.gif) view events in the Middle East. Holy Shit some people are friggin wacked!

Their Beliefs are Bonkers…

“In the United States, several million people have succumbed to an extraordinary delusion. In the 19th century, two immigrant preachers cobbled together a series of unrelated passages from the Bible to create what appears to be a consistent narrative: Jesus will return to Earth when certain preconditions have been met. The first of these was the establishment of a state of Israel. The next involves Israel's occupation of the rest of its "biblical lands" (most of the Middle East), and the rebuilding of the Third Temple on the site now occupied by the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa mosques. The legions of the antichrist will then be deployed against Israel, and their war will lead to a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. The Jews will either burn or convert to Christianity, and the Messiah will return to Earth.

What makes the story so appealing to Christian fundamentalists is that before the big battle begins, all "true believers" (ie those who believe what they believe) will be lifted out of their clothes and wafted up to heaven during an event called the Rapture.

We can laugh at these people, but we should not dismiss them. That their beliefs are bonkers does not mean they are marginal. American pollsters believe that 15-18% of US voters belong to churches or movements which subscribe to these teachings. A survey in 1999 suggested that this figure included 33% of ......

And among them are some of the most powerful men in America. John Ashcroft, the attorney general, is a true believer, so are several prominent senators and the House majority leader, Tom DeLay. Mr DeLay (who is also the co-author of the marvellously named DeLay-Doolittle Amendment, postponing campaign finance reforms) travelled to Israel last year to tell the Knesset that "there is no middle ground, no moderate position worth taking".

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assholes

My dad is one of these nutjobs, and I tell him so constantly. cantfocus.gif

The worst part - if you disagree with them, it just further enforces their overall sense of persecution.. and as we all know, persecution=righteousness.

God help us if ding-dong somehow gets reelected.

Zach the_finger.gif

My brother is one of these persons. He had his pastor lay some heavy-handed words on us at our father's funeral that made a number of people squirm. I decided to let it go and not mention it to him. Then, at the house I heard my aunt say something to him about it, which surprised me, because she is quite religious.

It does appear that the current administration has no qualms about setting the stage for Armageddon. In fact, I suspect Bush sees himself as God's instrument, fulfilling "God's Plan". Fundamentalists, who are by definition incapable of appreciating another's position, are unable to perceive how they often resemble their own sworn enemies. Who else believes he's on a holy mission, carrying out God's Plan? Maybe...Osama bin Laden?

In fact, I suspect Bush sees himself as God's instrument, fulfilling "God's Plan".

You don't have to suspect!! Just the other night he told the world that he was carrying out The ALMIGHTY'S plan of bring freedom (not ot mention evangelical missionaries) to the Iraqis! hellno3d.gif What an idiot.......