EWolfe

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what is good in life?

the open steppe, the wind in your hair, and a strong horse beneath you...

NO! conan, what is good in life?

crush your enemies, see them flee before you, and hear the lamentations of the women

CORRECT

...seriously, my favorite local power place is down on the elliot, between the upper and lower icefalls...it just feels so intimate in there, like being in your livingroom w/ some sweet tunes on.

Where are the spots that have that magical quality for you?

Where your spirit feels at home.

discuss.

Hueco Tanks, Texas

Leavenworth area

fruit.giflaugh.gif

( grammar edit )

Smith Rock, Oregon

I found my spirit there and contine to find my spirit there everytime i take the time to look. not every trip is magic, not every trip is spritual, but there is something there for me that I have no words to describe that feeds my heart and soul and helps me to grow and learn and become better.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif to finding more places of power and friends who understand wink.gif

Also the stonehenge replica on the Oregon-Washington boarder cheesy yes, but there is an awsome power there.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

That stonehenge thing is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

"Hmm let's see. We should have a veteran's memorial here. What would really need to do justice to their sacrifice? Of course! A poor knock-off of some astronomical observatory from 2000BC! And you know what? Let's build it out of cheap concrete!"

top of the cone at bachelor. it doesn't take much work to get up there, but the view is fantastic, and for me, it is a quick way to put shit in perspective. from that viewpoint, i can look north to the beauty of the three sisters, and to the east i can see the throngs of tiny gapers swarming around the base, and i can see my little office, and the big mountains make all my problems seem really little. i chuckle a bit each time... laugh at my so called problems, and laugh in delight that i can hike up to such a cool spot right outside my office door. i feel truly blessed to be able to do this, and truly stoked that i get to ski down!

the amazing thing of power places, and the more 'special places' you get to visit, is the fact that each of these spots, you leave a little bit of yourself there. there is a fancy quote that says it better than i just did, but take yosemite for example, amazing wonderful memories there, many special places, and the only thing more special than the memories of a place like that, is being able to go back, and reconnect with that vibe, the sights, and the smells that make each one of these places magical.

keep getting out there and finding these spots, share the moments with those that are close to you, this is what life is all about. great thread!

That stonehenge thing is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

"Hmm let's see. We should have a veteran's memorial here. What would really need to do justice to their sacrifice? Of course! A poor knock-off of some astronomical observatory from 2000BC! And you know what? Let's build it out of cheap concrete!"

the thing about powere places is that it is diffrent for every one

when I was 19 I got a call from my friend T, she was about to go into laber. She was living in WA at the time. My friend Leah and I Went charging up there to be with her and the only place we stopped was at stonehendge thingy... I walked out past it and looked out over the columbia, some hippie was playing bongos and the wind was blowing so hard I could rest my body against the wind leaning out over the river. 3 hours later I held one of my best friends child in my arms just moments after he was born.

I still feel an echo of that and something else I can not explain when I go there

In ElCap meadows, the sheer mass of the Captain and Middle Cathedral Rock is so overpowering, the tourist busses and gapers seem not to matter.

Go there with a clear sky & full moon, sometime near midnight. You'll be alone in the meadow, surrounded by the awesome.

The morning power place is after the caffeinated buzz has worn down, and your in the groove of going someplace - whether it's skinning, climbing, hiking or driving. Motorin'

Actual places:

BWCA

Adirondacks

Wind Rivers

Coast Range

Grand Canyon...Those who have experienced it know of the tremendous power of the place. It's much more than the 24 hour a day, 360 degree orgasmic view, the deafening silence, the pleasure of finding water, the smell of the desert after rain...I figure I've spent maybe 13 weeks total down in the canyon, and they were some of the finest moments of my life.

An night spent on Booker Mt. was also one of the finest moments of my life. In view of some great climbing.. Buckner is right there, and I think from nowhere else does Johannesberg seem so massive. Logan, Goode, and much of the rest of the N cascades. There's magic there.

Most anywhere along the Bailey Range in the Olympics...a special camp near the catwalk (well actually two now that I think of it), Mt.Carrie, a camp above Stephen Lake, upper Ferry basin (well almost anywhere in Ferry Basin), along the crest betweem Pullitzer pass and uppre Queets basin, a camp almost anywhere in upper Queets basin, Camp Pan, a place on the west side of Olympus overlooking Mt Tom

A night spent on the summit of Goode. You can see most of the world from there.

A special place that my partner AJ shares with me is as powerful as any of those.

wave.gif

Notch Peak, Utah

Indian Crik, Utah

Cape Lookout, Oregon

Meadow Hot Springs, Utah

"The Living Room", Salt Lake Foothills

A couple of spots in Escalante

MisterE, thanks for reminding me just how important these places are by starting this thread. I'm about to go on a road trip and I should visit these places while I have the opportunity.

Gotta be Smith Rock. Smell of chalk and SmithMud and sage and juniper and rope, sound of pigeons giving beta and that big-ass blue heron squonking, sun on tuff and people out climbing, your latest proj all festooned with your draws just looming over your sorry ass and defying you to step up and S-E-N-D, Grasslands campfires and beers ... Dr. Flash Amazing will take that goodness any day.

Runners up include:

Red Rocks, NV

Maple Canyon, UT

Most anywhere deserty, even if it's not a sport crag ... Edward Abbey was onto something with the desert; that shit just sings to your soul, tell you what.

bigdrink.gif

Gotta be Smith Rock. Smell of chalk and SmithMud and sage and juniper and rope, sound of pigeons giving beta and that big-ass blue heron squonking, sun on tuff and people out climbing, your latest proj all festooned with your draws just looming over your sorry ass and defying you to step up and S-E-N-D, Grasslands campfires and beers ... Dr. Flash Amazing will take that goodness any day.

bigdrink.gif

brought a tear to my eye cry.gif man I love yoyu guys grin.gifbigdrink.gif

Question:

What is a "power place?"

Is that a place where you feel good, and want to spark a bowl or maybe just sit and enjoy a pleasant view? If that is what it is, I usually find a nice restful place to take in the view on just about every trip I ever take to the outdoors.

If we're really talking about "power spots," we're talking about something more than that, and something more profound than just a place where the climbing is really cool, no?

What is it to you?

Yes and no Matt. Some people may need a specific spot where they gain energy. Myself I am energized when my senses are heightened and I am in tune with my surroundings. Maybe for others it is sparking that bowl. I think, in my mind a power spot is some place where I gain energy, feel alive, and recharged.

Power Places for me are where there is an energy from the surroundings or past events.

I'm with MattP on El Cap Meadows,(dawn or dusk.)

Another place for me is standing on the knoll looking down past the memorial at the Little Bighorn Battlefield. White markers in twos and threes scattered from the draw up the slope to the final cluster where the last stand occured was a very powerful place.

The rim of the Grand Canyon is a pretty amazing place, even at the totally crowded spots.

I get really energized in the cab of my truck, driving through the pre-dawn city streets, peering through the holes in the windshield frost, waiting for the heater to kick in, with that big cuppa joe and some punk rock blaring, heading out to the mountains for some all-day sufferfest.

fruit.gif

The Enchantments

Ouray, Colorado

Banff, Alberta Canada

Squamish

Easter Washington Desert

City of Rocks, Idaho

Arizona Desert

Lake Tahoe

Smith Rock

The Olympics

These are the places I have been where I have felt complete - my soul soothed - my mind at ease - the knowledge that this is where I belong.

My 2 cents, but I don't understand people feeling compelled to toke up when they go somewhere breathtaking. Is the place not enough? Alcohol is my own motor inhibitor of choice, but I generally prefer to be on my game when I'm out enjoying a beautiful place and save the brew for the parking lot. I enjoy the place that much more sober.

As for my power place, don't know that I have one in particular. I've seen lots of amazing places, and I think the thing that inspires me most is standing somewhere I know has been tread by only a select few. Being surrounded by concrete and asphalt the majority of the time, getting a very real sense for how alive a place can be despite us rather than because of us is very compelling. I need to be reminded now and again that I'm a guest in very remarkable place, rather than a resident.