Power Places

EWolfe

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I somewhat agree with you about the toke and the drink, badvoodoo--I much prefer to be "on my game" when I'm climbing and I prefer that my partners are, too. However, I think you miss the point. I don't think anybody is saying they "have to" toke or drink to enjoy a fine view. Yes, there are plenty of potheads on this board who seem to want to inhale all day long starting when they get out of bed in the morning, but I don't think even they would say this is "necessary" to appreciate their power spot. For many folks, though, it is time to relax when they sit down with the beer or the bowl, and this for them is often the time when they are ready to "feel the power."

I somewhat agree with you about the toke and the drink, badvoodoo--I much prefer to be "on my game" when I'm climbing and I prefer that my partners are, too. However, I think you miss the point. I don't think anybody is saying they "have to" toke or drink to enjoy a fine view. Yes, there are plenty of potheads on this board who seem to want to inhale all day long starting when they get out of bed in the morning, but I don't think even they would say this is "necessary" to appreciate their power spot. For many folks, though, it is time to relax when they sit down with the beer or the bowl, and this for them is often the time when they are ready to "feel the power."

I'm not saying people find it "necessary" to smoke up, and I'm not against someone wanting to take a toke when they're relaxing. But when I'm partaking, it's more about how I feel, not about my surroundings; I'm focused on myself and state of mind, rather than where I am and what's around me. Perhaps that's more a personal interpretation of what a "power spot" is... One person may find their power spot somewhere that has little aesthetic or physical value, and more emotional value. I, on the other hand, am a very visual person and take my meaningful queues from my surroundings, which I can better appreciate while clean and sober. I can't so much justify focusing on myself when surrounded by visual bliss.

Hi Ruben:

Mine are Beacon Rock. It has magic and power, the resting place of many many former local souls are there, peacefully and joyfully - I can feel it. Closing it to climbing has caused some pain, which I alieviate by swinging by just to sit and hang by myself at the base occasionally (last Sunday for instance).

Anywhere 200' outside of the buildings in Yosemite "City" where 60,000 temporary visiting people exist and yet the trees are still swaying.

Bill

i agree w/ the beacon comment, and incidentelly, do you reckon free-soloing is considered "technical climbing" (the ban of the myriad signs)? was there on easter walking around and decided to solo up the first pitch of the se corner. while enjoying meself on the big ledge i idly wondered if i would end up an outlaw, tg-style, for my actions. the lord musta been with me....

A power place for me can occur anywhere. There are some special places, like the summit of Rainier when its not a zoo, The Pickets, The Wind River Range, etc. Crossing the great continental rift in Tanzania was uber cool. Whenever the beauty and power of that particular place and time connect with something that I am willing and able to receive.

Hell, a power place for me was last night sitting on the couch reading a book with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. Something real magical about seeing the lights go on in a kid.....

I don't know what a "power place" is but here are some of favorite spots.

There is a spot on the east side of el cap with huge blocks of granite lay flat. Even during the summer it is cool there, springs drip from the wall, and the smell of the bay trees prevades. It is a cozy feeling and yet awe inspiring to know there is 3000ft of sheer granite above you.

Another mysterious place for me was the propellar cairn below Slesse. When we came upon it for the first time the narrow path was shrouded in thick fog and you got an eerie feel walking across the boulder field beyond and seeing parts of plane scattered about.

Other cool places are the Hobbit hole at Smith, Beef Basin at Indian Creek, the lake below Prussik peak, and of course El cap Spire on the Salathe Wall

I guess to me a power place is where you want to settle down for a bit, spend some time with THE PLACE. Some one said it re-energizes you. That's very close to - is for me. A sense of history, and you meshing smoothly with that history with honor and respect. You become more aware of your surroundings, notice subtle things. A slowing of movement, deliberation.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be pretty. Hueco Tanks is 20 miles outside of the hole, El Paso, and the history, climbing and charging energy of the place kept me wholly in thrall for two months.

fruit.gif Erik

Smith? Huh? Sure it's cool and I luv it, but it's never had a "spiritual" effect on me because of 1. People 2. Lack of "wilderness"

This place trips my bones:

4916_79002.jpg

This place feels powerful in its lack of history and the overriding sensation that it SHOULD be more known, like what you're witnessing is a cresting wave:

4488_mikeincisor.jpg

Needles CA, Domelands CA

There's something about the west side of the Sierras. I've spent good time on the east side and tho the climbing is good, there's just something visually magnetic in the air around Kernville and the Needles. One of the few places I have yet encountered where I would be emotionally happy living for a long time thumbs_up.gif

Where are the spots that have that magical quality for you?

Where your spirit feels at home.

discuss.

OK, mebbe I should have let this thread die, but some folks have brought up the notion of "power place" as a place that holds a powerful emotional experience for them. Let's discuss that.

For me, the WW2 battlefield cemeteries at Normandy, France and Liege, Belgium. I have visited the graves of uncles from both sides of my family buried in both of them. Very powerful emotions well up when I see the rows and rows of crosses going on forever in a sea of green. It all came back again when I first saw the opening (graveyard) scenes of "Saving Private Ryan."

The other one is the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial in DC. It's really strange, how intensely quiet it is inside it, in the middle of our nation's capital. Eerily silent.

RIP all our vets, from all our wars. bigdrink.gif

Powerful places - Escalante Utah (or many other bits of 'desert time' that I need to experience yearly)

The old indian camp on a hilltop on my folks' farm - OK, so it's a wheatfield now, but they had a pretty good piece of real estate.

Then there are the moments that impact:

Feeling the air go dead and watching a tornado form and walk across the plains.

Watching a rhino and calf walk out of the mara brush and feeling like I did not belong there.

listening to a cheetah strangle an antelope from 30 feet away.

Walking to see pre-inca mummies outside of Nazca, Peru and realizing the entire desert floor was paved with fragments of human bones.

Sobo - You are so right. I was pretty awestruck at the number of names on the Vietnam memorial in D.C. and felt an incredible sense of sadness when I saw the graves of the POWs who were forced to work on the Thai-Burma railway during WWII when I visited the JEATH museum and cemetary. There are thousands of stories in those names and gravestones, it makes one wonder.

And Glacier brought up some really cool travel experiences. One of mine is when I was traveling in Thailand in 98 when I watched a tout give his elephant a bath in the river while standing on top of the Bridge over the River Kwai.

Another is the view from the shower in Kangjuma on the Everest basecamp trek. One side is glass enclosed and it looks out over the valley towards Ama Dablam and Thangboche. Amazing place to clean up.