• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enchantments Plateau

thumbs_up.gif nice one Greg.

Just about any alpine summit in WA/BC/AK or Sierra with a view, a breeze, and some peace.

WA Pass/Methow Valley, WA

Any of the few remaining redwood groves in N. CA/S. OR (big trees are cool.gifmushsmile.gif)

A secret high alpine meadow on the west side of Pike's Peak in Colorado (I used to work + live on top)

Feather River Wilderness, CA (Bears and real wilderness!)

Kenai Penninsula, AK

Most of SE AK and Yukon are special to me (the small parts of them that I have seen)

No one has mentioned Yosemite/Tuolumne??? Too crowded? Tourists turn you off?

Nice post Mr.E thumbs_up.gif

1) My favorite little ledge on the approach hike to Snake Dike in Yos, great view, no tourists and great sounds of the river when the falls are running.

2) the boulders below Thin Fingers at Index

3) the Methow valley here in WA

4) the valley around Joseph/Enterprise, OR

5) Prosser, CA

6) Polish Glacier base camp on Aconcagua

7) Tambopaxi hacienda in Cotopaxi Nat'l park in Ecuador

any place w/o people at sunrise.

I'd even include people at sunrise. Early morning the worlds peaceful, and everyone seems willing to let everyone be. Early Morning's especially cool with the car pointed at a far away destination filled with the unknown thumbs_up.gif

Early morning the worlds peaceful, and everyone seems willing to let everyone be. Early Morning's especially cool with the car pointed at a far away destination filled with the unknown thumbs_up.gif

Just for the sake of argument, there, CJF, I'll say I think sunset is a better time of day, for me, for "feeling the power." Whenever I'm out and about at sunrise in the mountains, I'm on my way to climb or ski something. Usually, this means I don't feel that I have time to sit there and admire the sunrise. The power I'm feeling is the buzz from my third cup of coffee and it's time to go! At sunset, however, I'm often done with the day's big project. My secret campsite on XXXXX Mountain, at sunset -- that's the power spot!!!

In response to the post asking about Yosemite, I'd say ElCap Meadows is pretty nifty place to admire the power of granite. thumbs_up.gif

I find my power place where ever I encounter nature in it's raw form. Where there are no human trail, no carins, no pavement, no antenas, no radio, nothing manmade. I love the feeling of letting my senses take over and escaping thought, the feel of warm rock, the smell of the ocean, the sight of a sunset, the sounds of wild animals, the taste of fresh blackberries. That's where I find my power. So far it has been in all sorts of locations across the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Toleak Point, when nobody is around, is quite a magical place. That'd be one of those "raw earth" type places.

In ElCap meadows, the sheer mass of the Captain and Middle Cathedral Rock is so overpowering, the tourist busses and gapers seem not to matter. Get out of your car and walk down by the river with lawn chair and a glass of wine. Despite all the development, Yosemite rocks!!!!!

Early morning the worlds peaceful, and everyone seems willing to let everyone be. Early Morning's especially cool with the car pointed at a far away destination filled with the unknown thumbs_up.gif

Just for the sake of argument, there, CJF, I'll say I think sunset is a better time of day, for me, for "feeling the power." Whenever I'm out and about at sunrise in the mountains, I'm on my way to climb or ski something. Usually, this means I don't feel that I have time to sit there and admire the sunrise. The power I'm feeling is the buzz from my third cup of coffee and it's time to go! At sunset, however, I'm often done with the day's big project. My secret campsite on XXXXX Mountain, at sunset -- that's the power spot!!!

Take a moment sometime. To just stop everything, and sit and enjoy a beautiful sunrise, and feel the power it has to make you know that whatever shit you encounter throughout the day, it will be there for at least 14 more hours grin.gif

Anywhere in the Pasayten Wilderness

Mirador overlooking the Torres del Paine

Camp Poincenot overlooking Cerro Fitzroy and Torrey with no climbers in the camp

high camp on East side of Mt. Moran, Tetons

Cirque of the Towers, Wind River Range, WY

Summit of Denali - total tear jerker

high camp on Sahale Peak with no one but your gal

AK. That place is powerful, and not nescessarily in a pleasant way (although I very much enjoyed being there.) When I drove across the tok river between Tok and Delta for the first time, my jaw dropped. I'd never seen such a HUGE river. HUGE. And it was over and over like that: nature in bold face. The expanses of uninterupted black spruce and marshy grassland. Highways that when on for long stretches w/o any (ok, VERY little) development. (Then to think about western AK... that place must be really remote!) Anyways, it's somewhat imposing. I didn't really feel totally at ease there, I think in part, due to how raw the places is. But it felt cool to be out of place, I really appreciated the immensity of it.

http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Alaska/SouthCentralAlaska/GlennHighway/MatanuskaBraided.html

http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Alaska/SoutheasternAlaska/Hyder/HyderCauseway.html

http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Alaska/AlaskaInterior/ParksHighway/ParksHwyNenanaRiver.html

high camp on Sahale Peak

That spot rocks! (at least until you have to fend off the marmots that invade your little rock forts.) snaf.gif I've always thought it'd be a great place for a snowball fight, everyone's already got their own pre-made base. grin.gif