Polar s720 vs. Suunto X6

mbcracken

I am currently using a Polar Accurex II that I finally killed this last weekend.

I have been looking at some of the newer watches that have altimeters and the HR data gathering. I have been comparing the s710(now s720) with the Suunto X6.

Quick facts...

Suunto's X6 = $350

Polar s720 = $250

I was wondering what kind of experience people have had with these watches. I was especially interested in the accuracy and reliabilty of the Polar altimeter functionality. I chose these two models because I like to download and track my HR zone training while running/cycling/XC skiing/climbing/...

Thanks,

-Mike bigdrink.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quote myself:

Wankers. Why the hell do you need a heart rate monitor?

Don't be so techie Geek_em8.gif Just go run, or bike, or whatever, you don't need to know your maximum blah blah and your minimum blah blah or your resting blah blah.

Try to be a bit more stoic and manly eh? Maybe go club a baby seal for some therapy or something.

Damn, modern technowimps.

Some other over-wrought, techno-weenie crap about heart rate monitors

If you contact Polar and tell them you need it repaired, they will give you I think 30% off a new watch, at least a couple years ago you could.

The 30% is still holding true. I think I'll go with the Polar. I appreciate your feedback. bigdrink.gif

Thanks

-Mike

• 2 months later...

Bump.

I am getting into road biking, and because of that the s720i (or the s725) looks good to me. It would give me something I could use biking, at the gym, or climbing and skiing, for less than the price of a Suunto plus a bike computer with wireless cadence.

But I'd like to know how the altimeter fares? Did you get the Polar? Did you climb with the altimeter, and how good was it? The Polar manual says:

It also measures altitude and temperature in cycling. No other use intended or implied. The altitude and temperature functions are not designed to be exclusive measuring equipment in aviation, climbing sports, water sports or their equivalent.

I don't know if it's just protective legalese or if they have a reason to distrust their altimeter for serious use.

drC