Chamonix

Terry

Anyone visited Chamonix lately? Looking for logisitical tips. Great cheap hotel I stayed at last time isn't listed anymore. Oh yeah, if you can tell me snow conditions on Mt Blanc and whether crevasses are open I'd be most appreciative. Send me a PM if you have info.

Thanks,

Terry

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy named Tuan (sp?) has climbed there a lot and has got a wicked amount of info on his website. Compleate with route suggestions, were to stay, were NOT to stay, and such.

Follow the link sucka [Razz]

http://www.ai.sri.com/~luong/mountain/chamonix/

BTW, I think I have some pics of Grand Jorasses floating around on my harddrive with route over lays, should you want to see them

• 1 month later...

Just returned for Chamonix. Only had four days which is totally indadequate. Too many mountains and too little time. I climbed Mt Blanc by "The Three-Mont-Blanc Route, rated PD+. It appeared to be the most interesting of the three regular routes.

Observations:

-Route was great. Partner got sick shortly after leaving hut, so soloed. Snow was hard, cracks were visible and avoidable, one steep (>70 deg) section got my attention on descent, perfect weather with no wind (climbed most of it tee shirt and pile jacket, threw on goretex on summit), very few people on the route.

-Telepheriques (cable cars)are handy. Nothing like going from 3,000 feet to 12,000 feet in a matter of minutes. Also probably contributes to the demise of many tourists.

-Huts are interesting. Running water, beer on tap, good wine and three course meals at 12,000 feet is a treat. Breakfast is served every two hours starting at 1 a.m.

-Climbing habits on Mt Blanc are strange. From my observations we were the only team on the mountain with a 50 m rope, and the two of us were tied in about 60 feet apart. I saw several parties of four tied into one rope with maximum length of 20 feet. Great for finding crevasses. Watching them descend steep slopes was entertaining - looked like something from Monty Python with four guys moving in lockstep.

-Weather went to hell as soon as we came down with several rescues. I was lucky with weather and as much fun as telepheriques and huts are, I prefer our system.

I have longer trip report with chest beating stuff and more logistical info for those interested. Send me a pm.

Terry