Some food for thought on using the boards.........

jon

In wake of today’s incident with a certain user, where I may or may not have overreacted (it’s the Eminem music I tell you), I just like to remind people about why these boards are here and how to properly use them. This isn’t meant to bitch at anyone, just some observations from us and other people we have talked to.

This site was created so climbers could share their experience on routes, with gear, with retailers along with aiding in people finding partners, buying/selling used gear, etc etc etc. For the most part this is what happens, but on a few occasions things get out of control and the flames start flying. This sucks for us because we have to find a way to deal with it appropriately. It sucks for you because what could have been a really productive conversation was ruined because of some stupid remark. I know everyone likes to goof around here, especially at work, I know I’m guilty of it, but when people put senseless stuff on the boards with no motive but to draw attention to the post/themself, it really detracts from the value and usefulness of the site. This includes things like comments where gender, sexual orientation, race, etc are used in a potentially offensive manner. I know this has only happened on a few occasions, and I too may be guilty of doing it, but I hope people are a little more respectful of others. This includes flaming some poor shmo for asking a stupid/not so stupid question or telling about his day full of errors in the mountains. I’m not saying people can’t converse and joke around, just be careful with what you say and make sure it's in a way that couldn't be misconstrued.

Another thing that has been brought to my attention by a number of users is the usefulness of route reports and gear reviews. When you post and just say the route is “In” or not doesn’t really tell people much because that is based on you perception, experience, and where you made that call. What may look like crap to you might be what another person lives for. Another example is “I climbed Butthead Peak today, it was really sunny, the view was tremendous” end of post. Again, not too helpful, leaving out things like how the approach is, any potential obstacles or things to watch for, what gear might be needed. How bout this “Yeah I bought some of those new nuts by Dez and they freakin rock.” Why do you like them though? This is especially helpful when people talk about boots, rock shoes, and packs where body type is a factor. By being thorough in your reports/reviews you are helping people in the present and future make decisions on climbs and gear. I know cases like this rarely happen, and usually people write incredible reports that include pictures, links, etc. Assuming this site stays up many years to come like we want it to, people being able to tap into this vast amount of stored info put up by the its very own users is so valuable it’s both exciting and hard to imagine. I hope you all agree.

Thanks for taking the time to read this as I felt it was an opportune time as any raise these issues. If you have any comments/concerns/complaints/bitches/suggestions please feel free to fire them our way, or if you would like to add anything I’ll leave the thread open. Thanks for helping make this site so successful.

-Jon

Flame Patrol Chief

intensity@cascadeclimbers.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic one of your only appropriate posts is about how you will continue to make inappropriate posts. . .

I personally am very glad that Jon officially brought up the topic as a thread. My vote goes to having less of the stupid remarks and replies, unless they are VERY funny. And not just funny to a couple of people, really #@%!ing funny.

I'd also like to point out particularly to the route info pages like on the N cascades, Alpine Lakes, etc. The stupid remarks have even spilled over to them! I had actually decided to quit coming to this site for this reason, it was so hard to sift through all the crap just to get to a reasonable response. But it was a hard habit to break and there actually is really good beta, if you can find it. That's my take on the whole thing.

Good job on those who started the site. I have benefited from it alot. Thanks.

So, is that why my sarcastic, off-topic post to the PMI Half Rope thread has vanished, because you edited it out?

I will admit to creating replies that have little of importance to add to the original thread, but despite the complaints of others about other's postings, I can't see that they do any harm. If I was looking for an answer to a question I would just filter out the irrelevant stuff. Otherwise the display of (somewhat) climbing-oriented wit can just brighten up a dull day at work.

Viva l'inappropriate posting!