Carbon road/Ipsut Creek approach?

Chad_A

Just before Memorial Day, we're heading for LR, weather permitting. I was wondering what to expect; I'm assuming that we'll have to approach from Ipsut, because WR won't be open yet.

So, is the trail obvious, even if covered by snow? It looks like it simply follows the Carbon River, by the topo, so it shouldn't be that hard to keep track of.

Also, what kind of road is the Carbon road, and when should we expect it to open? Is it open now? Jeep road, or well maintained?

Any insight is welcome. Looking forward to giving it a shot. The approach will make me go lighter than I usually would; fruit.gif I'll find a way to use that Chernobyl, dammit! rockband.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OPEN. Call park for a current road update 360-569-2211. High clearance vehicles recommended. Road is subject to washouts. The Carbon River Road will be closed from mid-August to early September 2004 due to road work outside the park. Backcountry camps and trail heads will not be accessible via the Carbon River Road during the closure. Exact closure dates will be posted when they are made available by the county.

Well, here it is, copied and pasted. Finally found it on the park website.

Still, any trail notes that are applicable would be helpful.

• 1 month later...

Bump. Doing the same, later this week. Any info on Ipsut creek would be appreciated. Is the road open all the way to the CG? Is it better to follow the river onto the glacier or head for Mystic lake and trot up the ridge?

I headed towards Desolation (or is it Old Desolate?) Peak last Friday and I decided to take the glacier rather than try to follow the trail through probably snowy forest to Mystic Lake. Follow the trail almost until it reaches Dick Creek (snowfree), and as soon as there is an obvious easy 100ft descent down to the glacier, do that. Dick Creek must be crossed which might be problematic in the afternoon, then cross the moraine and get down into the trough between the moraine and the glacier. That offers better travel than the debris covered glacier for a few hundred feet until it steepens and you're forced onto the glacier just before it flattens out and you get the money shot of Rainier's north face. That's as far as I went because I realized that my crampons were adjusted for my other boots (1/2 inch too short!!!) and I didn't have a screwdriver. I'm an idiot. Great spot to just sit and chill and listen to music and serac fall off of Willis Wall though. No regrets.