Smartwool?

cracked

I have a pair of the Smartwool Mountainear socks. On a recent ski trip, they got soaked. I took them off and put them on my chest, next to my skin, to dry them overnight. In the morning, they were still very damp. They also smelled worse than anything I've smelled in my life (like week-old un-neutered cat's piss). So where did wool get the reputation for being non-stinky and reasonably fast drying? I bought some Thorlo synthetics, and they don't stink very much, dry extremely fast, and work better. So what gives?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your feet sweat cat piss? You bought the SmartWool CatAss socks by mistake? You need to put steaksauce on your feet before you wear the socks?

I have the very same socks, too, and they smell rather nice after a long day of slogging. Better than my feet, in fact.

if you're feet have a tendancy to smell, try putting some of that hand sanitizer stuff on them after they are clean and before putting on your socks. Generally speaking smell means some kind of stinky, cat piss fungi. Kill the fungi, kill the smellies. there are a ton of the hand sanizers out there, look for one with "persistance" you will be amazed.

Never a problem with the Smartwools or the Dahlgrens either. Matter of fact, they hold up way better than the Thorlos, they dry faster , and they don't pill. I probably prefer the Dahlgrens above all.

Never had any weird sock smell problems with any of them.

Some people actually have allergic reactions to certain dyes or certain materials that make their feet sweat and stink. I actually have this problem, but mine is with dress socks, Synthetic dyed socks make my feet sweat and my sockes smell like ass madgo_ron.gif.....welll that and I ran out of toilet paper. I have better luck with wool or cotton. So best advice is to use what works best for you. For instance now I wear my mountaineering socks to work. SEXY!!!! rolleyes.gif

So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Bridgedale socks are the best socks to buy. They dry fast and feel great on the feet, also they do not fall apart after a moderate trip. The model that is similar to the Mountaineering is the Summit................

• 1 year later...