Least tagged summits?

AllYouCanEat

There is anecdotal evidence that Native Americans may have done FAs of Mt Rainier and The Grand Teton. I'd venture that MANY FAs were done by natives for various reasons.

Maybe - it would be interesting if there was a way to actually find out. I guess all there really is is Indian oral history (though maybe some stuff has been written down by early settlers and historians on Indian travels?), which can be both accurate and inaccurate - especially when trying to compare things from different cultures. I just don't see Indians spending lots of time in remote areas with harsh climates that are covered in snow 2/3 or the year.

Edited by Jake

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As for Indians visiting stuff - I dunno. I kinda doubt the Indians were out there wandering around on some high ridge in the middle of nowhere. Why would they? - no food, shelter up there. Have you ever heard of any FAs by Indians?

Of course not. It's not an FA unless you're a white guy and write it up someplace for other white guys to read.

It's hard to imagine a population in an area for upwards of 12,000 years bothering to wander around on some high ridge in the middle of nowhere, far from 7-Elevens or anything useful.

There is anecdotal evidence that Native Americans may have done FAs of Mt Rainier and The Grand Teton. I'd venture that MANY FAs were done by natives for various reasons.

Maybe - it would be interesting if there was a way to actually find out. I guess all there really is is Indian oral history (though maybe some stuff has been written down by early settlers and historians on Indian travels?), which can be both accurate and inaccurate - especially when trying to compare things from different cultures. I just don't see Indians spending lots of time in remote areas with harsh climates that are covered in snow 2/3 or the year.

marmot hunting

goat hunting

wave.gif

As for Indians visiting stuff - I dunno. I kinda doubt the Indians were out there wandering around on some high ridge in the middle of nowhere. Why would they? - no food, shelter up there. Have you ever heard of any FAs by Indians?

Of course not. It's not an FA unless you're a white guy and write it up someplace for other white guys to read.

It's hard to imagine a population in an area for upwards of 12,000 years bothering to wander around on some high ridge in the middle of nowhere, far from 7-Elevens or anything useful.

Finding out what the indians did/accomplished 12 thousand years ago when we don't even know what happened 100 years ago isn't really relevant to the discussion (though interesting wink.gif). I'm sure they did many things we don't know about. Indians are aid.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

If you are talking least summit peaks listed under the top 50 (Fry or Bulger), I would guess Monument Peak in the Pasayten Wilderness. I climbed it back in 2000 and the last visit in the summit register was in 1995. That is pretty impressive. Especially impressive when people are trying to bag the top 50. I count that one as one of the most remote top 50.

A lot of the peaks that have been named here have been climbed several times. I've climbed some of them and I know people who've climbed others, so I doubt that they're "least tagged summits."

I think a peak has to have been climbed just once to qualify for least tagged status. "Never tagged" is not as interesting at tagged only once.

There are probably several peaks that have been climbed only once. Since I was in the neighborhood last week, here's a likely one that comes to mind--the Devil's Toothpick, east of Mt Rahm near Silver Lake. Red Fred says Wild, Lucke and Roper climbed it in 1980. I bet it hasn't been climbed since then.

Since I was in the neighborhood last week, here's a likely one that comes to mind--the Devil's Toothpick, east of Mt Rahm near Silver Lake. Red Fred says Wild, Lucke and Roper climbed it in 1980. I bet it hasn't been climbed since then.

ssshhhhh

don't tell anyone about that super nice couloir on the north side leading up to the "u-shaped notch"

shhhh hahaha.gif

There's a good shot of this couloir in red CAG, p.135, 2nd edition. We looked up at it from the Skagit-Ross Lake road, and looked down on it from the notch on a recon trip up Silver Creek to Silver Lake in 1970. Just a matter of time before one of you guys is skiing it.