PMS descends to the Dark Side

tomtom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD ice axes, too! Maybe the BD rep gave him a good deal. thumbs_up.gif

People are definitely familiar with BD stuff, so he should have no problem selling it. Some of the other products and brands he carries are more obscure (but well-selected, to be sure), so maybe carrying the most-well-known brand will increase sales.

Perhaps tomtom is alluding to the fact that Camalots are heavy whereas most of PMS's stuff is carefully selected for lightweight? His concern being this might signal a shift from PMS's original philosophy of only selling the best, lightestweight shizzle to more of a "whatever sells" mentality? Perhaps I'm reading too much into this?

In any case, I own camalots and like them a lot even though they are heavy and expensive.

Perhaps tomtom is alluding to the fact that Camalots are heavy whereas most of PMS's stuff is carefully selected for lightweight? His concern being this might signal a shift from PMS's original philosophy of only selling the best, lightestweight shizzle to more of a "whatever sells" mentality?

Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Up until recently, there was also a little blurb on the website explaining that the limited extra expansion range of the Camelots was not worth the added weight.

Jim needs to stock what sells to the public to stay in business. Just like REI.

Jim needs to stock what sells to the public to stay in business. Just like REI.

Yeah, I see your point . . . Jim Nelson has a WHOLE LOT in common with REI. confused.gifconfused.gifwazzup.gif

So WHAT if he wants to sell Camalots? It's probably because one million people came in asking for them, and he's providing an option. I would argue that the expansion range of a single camalot may make it close to worth it in weight versus carrying several other cams that cover that same range . . . another consideration is that many people know and use Camalots as a standard unit of measurement (i.e. "oh, that's a grim size, .75 " Or "Did you need a #4 for that roof?") and many people like to climb with pieces that they're familiar with, so perhaps he's just choosing to provide his customers with what they WANT and not just the most extreme cutting edge weight-conscious gear.

I think he's always been very interested in getting people's opinions and feedback on gear and I imagine his choice to carry BD Cams comes from that feedback -- also, he can do that because he owns the place and can do whatever he wants to.

Yeah, so I guess he really is just like REI, after all . . . . riiiiight. wave.gif

Goatboy, I believe you are incorrect in saying that most people use the Camalot's sizing for their descriptions, going thru all the guide books I currently have on hand(Yomsemite, Index, Indian Creek, City of Rocks) they all list sizing for Friends and not Camalots. Either way both pieces of gear work quite well and I am fond of both.

Some of us like camalots, others dont. sometimes they are the way to go, other times they aren't. I'm sure most of us have some camalots and some other cams. Frankly, I think it's great cause when I do want to buy another camalot I can give my money to Jim instead of REI. wave.gifthumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...