New Route Ethics in Leavenworth

dberdinka

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree no bolted cracks, faces are another story. But I would like to see bolts put in where needed. It seems you have climbs that are way over bolted or routes that you deck out half way up. There has to be a happy middle. Bolts are not going away, but lets use them only wind needed. I have seen some routes latley that have had bolts added, that were not needed,if your not going to deck out(one pitch routes)than don't add any. Climbers must get the word out, no one will do it for us. This is a good start now send this topic to all the climbers you know.

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Shouldnt you guys be teaching your kids more useful skills like how to get Daddy a beer from the fridge without Mommy noticing?
[big Drink]

Why is it mommy would care that daady is having a beer, when mom has the bottle of vodka?
[Confused]
It might be the last one...

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Basically, there are no ethics anymore. There are, however, plenty of Generation-X morons who think that by buying a rope and drills and calling themselves climbers they will both get laid and further their resumes. It's no wonder that so many hate America. Dennis

Dennis, you are such a blithering pinhead. [laf] There are so many lardass old farts who blame the young, that its no wonder so many hate you. And what the fuck does scuba diving have to do with anything ya twit.

Boy, do I agree with Ray on that one. The older I get (49) the more I like hanging out with younger folks. Not trying to recapture my youth...just find most (not all) people my age to be stiffling and dead. They seem more concerned with what brand of fertilizer to put on the yard than getting out and living a little.

[ 06-14-2002, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: trask ]

Yea, Beckey was and still is a sport climber and was the first guy to wear lycra spandex panties. He was also the first to avoid bolting in places where they should never be placed, and didn't even put them there, (imagine that?) because perhaps even then he realized that rock is not a renewable resource. Dennis

I find myself in agreement with Allison once again. Geez, twice in one week. Harmon, I am so sick of listening to your holier-than-thou attitude. You are a pretentious, self-righteous, small-cocked, over-bearing, insecure braggart. Why not spend less time burping the worm and more time getting over yourself. You uptight belligerent prick! [Moon]

dear god, I believe hell hath frozen over, for I too agree with allison, trask, and ray bonbon [Wink][Razz] dennis, You need to mellow out. there are many gen, x ers who have also atained a degree of enlightenment that you will not find in your life. This is not neccesarrily a problem of generation. I have met many climbers, and of those that I have met so far of my generation, the majority prefer to climb trad. we climb sport only because it is there, close, and the area was unprotectable. BUT, WE did not bolt it. That was someone from your generation. [Roll Eyes]

Trask, you are a self-proclaimed poseur.

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

here are many gen, x ers who have also atained a degree of enlightenment that you will not find in your life.

Enlightenment found at Vantage with a grigri in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

[Moon][laf][laf][laf][laf][Moon]

[ 06-17-2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Retrosaurus ]

Enlightenment found at Vantage with a grigri in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

[Moon][laf][laf][laf][laf][Moon]

Hey mitch, if that is enlightenment, than adventure climbing where no cell phone can get sevice must be NIRVANA... I am closer than I thought. [big Grin][Wink]

[ 06-15-2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: sk ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Silly me. Dennis

Ya, silly you. [Roll Eyes] First off, everyone's got ethics, they just don't all agree with yours. I agree that rampant bolting is the shits, but that problem's been around a long time. If yer trying to deny the validity of sport climbing, you need a time machine, since that lil conversation happened awhile ago. And hey, clipping bolts can be fun, but that stuff just has to stay in its place. If current shit upsets you, paint a big ol A in a circle on your tee shirt, take a little direct action, and pull them little bits of steel. Fix the holes though, or your just as big an asshole as the original party. And be prepared to defend yerself cause the other side might have some feelings about it. Online whining is just like farting in your car, those faces you make just amuse anyone watching. What I really don't get is your hangup like gen-x shit in your beer. YOu ever see those old people marking time, waiting to die, cause all their friends are dead already? You're gonna be one of those bitter dickheads cuz those younger than you scare you so much. And watch out for Fred, spandex panties your saggy ass, he may be older and smaller than you, but hes a crafty bastard and he'll kick the shit out of you when you're not looking. [Moon][laf][laf][laf]