• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JoshK

The MSR elctrozapper water purifier thingy

just saw an article in newsweek that said people are retrofitting their outdoor pools to use this technology. likened the effect to "swimming in a pool of pasta water"...yummy!

trihalomethane is made when disinfectants containing chlorine come in contact with dissolved organic carbon

trihalomethane is a known carcinogen.

acceptable drinking water levels of trihalomethane were recently revised downwards, i think the current level is 8 ppb.

you might want to think about this before running some of that tea-coloured, Olympic Mountains water through your Miox pen system.

wave.gif

THM is always a consideration w/any chlorine based product; the MIOX purifier’s mixed oxidant solution’s chemistry is different however than the chlorine used to purify municipal water sources. MIOX’s solution produces half or less the THM than other chlorine based products. Short term low level consumption of THM, if worth being concerned about at all, is far less dangerous than consuming any of a number of microscipic bugs that could be present in untreated water. Geek_em8.gif

The water we would be purifying here in the PNW is usually very low in organic compounds, so no one should worry about that.

The water we would be purifying here in the PNW is usually very low in organic compounds, so no one should worry about that.

bullshit wave.gif

Are you fond of "Hemlock water"? There are a few places where it is elevated, but by and large it is very, very low.

THM's are high in MUNICIPAL water supplies in this state because they generally do not filter their water prior to treating with chlorine. Levels of THM's ranged from a low of 48 ppb at Poulsbo to 167 ppb at Bainbridge Island. Risk of miscarriage in pregnanat women increases at 75 ppb. Seattle has been fighting tooth and nail to avoid filtering, but eventually they will be forced into it.

Organic compounds tend to be higher in supplies drawn from surface waters as opposed to wells. However the surface waters in the mountains are generally low.

if you are in the rock-and-snow alpine treatment is basically unnecessary anyways unless you have a rainer frozen shit pile right above you. and if you are below treeline, or even in alpine meadows, or subalpine bogs, you can get some pretty high DOC levels. in these cases a straight filter will not give you THM's and a Miox or aquamira will. hmmmm. hmmmm. i just don't see the point of trading lighter weight for elevated but still trace levcels of carcinogens. its like buying ice screws made of radioactive russian missile titanium. they may work great as a headlamp too but WTF mushsmile.gif

We got a free demo of this from MSR this winter. It's quick, it's not my style of device since it requires attention - which I mean that if you dont have the proper amount of salt it errors but probably still works good enough in *some* cases.

Since we never paid a dime I didn't complain but iodine which I usually prefer to use was probably not optimal in our location\situation.

I wont be buying one but could recommend it as a better use than iodine in trashier\polluted situations based on personal opinion.

It does give chlorine taste to the water but that did not bother - might others.

I'd use it again in the situation I was in but would bum it again from MSR..