The MSR elctrozapper water purifier thingy

JoshK

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you fond of "Hemlock water"? There are a few places where it is elevated, but by and large it is very, very low.

THM's are high in MUNICIPAL water supplies in this state because they generally do not filter their water prior to treating with chlorine. Levels of THM's ranged from a low of 48 ppb at Poulsbo to 167 ppb at Bainbridge Island. Risk of miscarriage in pregnanat women increases at 75 ppb. Seattle has been fighting tooth and nail to avoid filtering, but eventually they will be forced into it.

Organic compounds tend to be higher in supplies drawn from surface waters as opposed to wells. However the surface waters in the mountains are generally low.

if you are in the rock-and-snow alpine treatment is basically unnecessary anyways unless you have a rainer frozen shit pile right above you. and if you are below treeline, or even in alpine meadows, or subalpine bogs, you can get some pretty high DOC levels. in these cases a straight filter will not give you THM's and a Miox or aquamira will. hmmmm. hmmmm. i just don't see the point of trading lighter weight for elevated but still trace levcels of carcinogens. its like buying ice screws made of radioactive russian missile titanium. they may work great as a headlamp too but WTF mushsmile.gif

We got a free demo of this from MSR this winter. It's quick, it's not my style of device since it requires attention - which I mean that if you dont have the proper amount of salt it errors but probably still works good enough in *some* cases.

Since we never paid a dime I didn't complain but iodine which I usually prefer to use was probably not optimal in our location\situation.

I wont be buying one but could recommend it as a better use than iodine in trashier\polluted situations based on personal opinion.

It does give chlorine taste to the water but that did not bother - might others.

I'd use it again in the situation I was in but would bum it again from MSR..