The MSR elctrozapper water purifier thingy

JoshK

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a high tech version of aquamira, a lot less messy than combining two chemicals.

Fill up your water bottle with the dirty water, dip miox pen in same to fill up top of pen. push a little button 1,2, or x times depending on how much water you need purifying, and it 'cooks' up a little purifying solution you then pour into bottle. wait ten minutes and its ready to go.

It was unique in that you could a) use in in complete darkness, as little LED lights show you whats happening b)it can be refilled with plain table salt if you run out of the special salt tabs and c) it's a chemical EPA certified purifier. The only filter out there that rates as a purifier is the First Need, and they clog ready fast. Downside, needs battery, also waiting the ten minutes like tabs. Also, doesn't clean out murk.

I think it is ideal for military or third world or remote trips like floating the Churchill or thru hiking. Safer on the body then prolonged Iodine use.

trihalomethane is made when disinfectants containing chlorine come in contact with dissolved organic carbon

trihalomethane is a known carcinogen.

acceptable drinking water levels of trihalomethane were recently revised downwards, i think the current level is 8 ppb.

you might want to think about this before running some of that tea-coloured, Olympic Mountains water through your Miox pen system.

wave.gif

I still want to know how marylou has any authority to test gear or get free shit. somebody tell me.

You'd rather listen to Beck? Who only uses CC.com to boost himself in the world fruit.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I think I'd rather listen to somebody who actually climbs :P

Then again, it seems those of us who climb would rather be out climbing then writing reciews to score new gear to talk and brag about.

you wanted to know how the thing works, JoshK,

I hope I gave you some useful input on it. I only tested the prototype. dru had an interesting point about using chlorine, wonder if it's valid.

I'm still using iodine tabs, or bleach, or a filter, or boiling.

and as to the rest of this thread, whatever! cantfocus.gif

No, all the info was good, you were right, that's all I wanted to know.

Like I said, I reached my conclusion...this thing is worthless in the cascades. I very rately treat water as it is, and if I do, I either boil or use iodine. It was just how it did it that interested me.

But I am glad to know that marylou has scored herself a worthless $130 nerd-toy water purifier that she can talk about.

I almost never do anything to water. Normally I make a judgement call on how much human activity goes on where the water I'm planning on drinking comes from. I have yet to find anywhere in the Cascades where I could not get water that I'm willing to drink.

Maybe I'm lucky or immune to nasty stuff. cantfocus.gif My system's worked so far...

The device is an electrochemical cell that converts chloride ion into hypochlorite ion, if I understand it correctly. Hypochlorite is ordinary bleach. I don't believe it reacts with organic compounds to produce chloroform the way Cl2 would. Under certain conditions it is possible to generate chlorite or even perchlorate ions electrolytically, which would probably not be good for you. Hopefully, this doesn't happen.

Why not use ordinary bleach? Has anyone tasted the water from this device? Does it taste good?

Edited by catbirdseat