Mapping avalanches

snoboy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im always confused by the timber/non-timber markings on the topo maps. They aren't always correct (obviously) and dont always correlate directly with safe tree cover or not. I bet in UT and CO it's even more difficult since what might be considered timber isn't thick enough forest to prevent slides, as opposed to good ol' PNW west coasts forests which slides generally wouldn't originate in.

i took a navigation class one time from an old USGS dude who told us that while the current definition of the green areas on the maps is "marketable timber", back when most of the original work was done, the definition was "six feet tall and thick enough to hide troops." (much of the impetus - and a good deal of the funding - for the mapping came from the military)

i took a navigation class one time from an old USGS dude who told us that while the current definition of the green areas on the maps is "marketable timber", back when most of the original work was done, the definition was "six feet tall and thick enough to hide troops." (much of the impetus - and a good deal of the funding - for the mapping came from the military)

excellent...the topo maps will come in very handy when I make my invisible ninja traverses across vast distances undetected smile.gif