Skiing SnowKing Mountain 4/11/04

urbanwanker

Well, looks like the Cascades has some ski terrain to match BC after all. Check out these pics from a weekend trip to SnowKing, note Mt. Mutchler in background, looks like part of the Selkiriks got mis-placed south of the border. Trip notes: access road is washed out at 1,100' altitude, makes for another hour worth of hiking to original trailhead. The "trail" up through the woods to treeline is very hard to spot the higher you get, bring flagging as it's very unlikely you'll find trail on your way out, especially if it's dark. Give yourself a third day if you can so you can go over and ski Mutchler

4514skiout-med.jpg

4514descent-med.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the road ended at 1500', but still, it was an extra hour of hiking. The first washout was from this winter, the second must be 1-3 years old, judging by the plant growth, and the third and final washout named in the Burgdorfer guide is ancient. My guess is the that the USFS has no intention of maintaining that road.

We had some of the same approach issues you mentioned also. I never really read any route description whatsoever previous to agreeing to go on this trip so I can only fault my partners for their lack of prior planning. Upon seeing the condition of the road I abandoned my skis at the car. Your first picture is near where we came out of the treeline and realized how much further we had to go. With no flotation and bad postholing conditions we abandoned the climb and returned to the car same day.