spokane

minx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The climbing sucks and there isn't much of it. You don't want to climb over here.

Seriously though, Spokanites can sometimes be very negative about there city because it is lacking in many ways. However, there is a lot of climbing and skiing and not so many people doing it.

Folks like to complain about the Kan but they just keep coming back after brief stints to the west side.

Spokane is just a poor city. Not much culture. The jobs pay crap. If you want to be close to great skiing/climbing/alpine/City of rocks/Tetons ..WTF! it's not close to any of those things... Tetons 15 hours.. City of rocks 10 hours.. Wassatch Range 11+ hours ..Rainier other than Summer 7+ hours..

If you don't mind living in a poor city with no culture like Spokane.. I recomend Pocatello ID. Less than 2 hours to city of rocks, Less than 3 hours to the Tetons.. Less than 3 hours to Utah snow.. Not to mention Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee/Teton Pass ..Not this Schweitzer/Silver Mt Bull Shit.. 14 bucks for a pitcher of Coors fog fest.

Didn't you just move hear Aaron? An expert already eh?

Spokane has a nice amount of culture for it's size. My job and most of my friend's jobs pay well. Maybe you should get another one. The cost of living is extremely low. You can get a nice apartment for $300, try that in Seattle. No hideous traffic every day like Seattle.

I said it is closer to those things, not close. Also, there is climbing in Montana that is 3 hours from here. Banff is less than 7 hours away, doable in a long weekend.

It's funny that you're dissing the skiing. Everyone says it's a great place to be in the winter if you love skiing. How many places have you been to? Whitewater, Red Mountain, 49 Degrees North, Mount Spokane night skiing: have you been there?

I can get to Leavenworth or Wa. Pass is less than 4 hours.

Didn't you just move hear Aaron? An expert already eh?

You're right, I haven't given it time. But I have formed an opinion. And I have lived in many different areas, to base this opinion on.

It's funny that you're dissing the skiing. Everyone says it's a great place to be in the winter if you love skiing. How many places have you been to? Whitewater, Red Mountain, 49 Degrees North, Mount Spokane night skiing: have you been there?

I take it you're not a skier? And your taking opinion from ppl that glorify the places they go, due to lack of experiences elsewhere. I worked at Silver Mt this winter. I've been to Schweitzer, 49, Mt Spokane.. I'm sticking with what I've said about the skiing and riding.

This is just my opinion on Spokane.. Doesn't mean it's true. I'm glad other ppl give their imput as well, so you ca get a good overview on the place Minx!

I sure missed this thread earlier. A couple or so misperceptions need to be corrected, so here goes. And since it’s in Spray and is living up to that name... evils3d.gif

Short answer Minx: climbing is generally good, cost of living is generally low.

The negative thing here about Spokane is overblown in this thread. There will always be people dissing on an area for different reasons. Bottom line is that you make the most of an area you live in. It is true Spokanites have had an inferiority complex compared to the west side, but that’s mostly in the past—the general perception I see here is that people are thankful for what we’ve got, including when comparing life to west of the Cascades. Not saying it’s better over here as there’s a lot I like about the Sound area and that I miss, including quick access to the Cascades and “more culture,” although the amount of culture here is at least what you’d expect for the size of this area--Spokane is ranked by the US Census at about #100 as a MSA.

There is a lot to be said for the Sound’s quick access to the incredible Cascades. For us to get into comparable mountains we have to drive a little further, but in general comparison to the Sound area, there is a wider variety of climbing opportunities based out of Spokane. And there is much more climbing in town compared to west-side towns. I have several friends who moved here precisely because of the climbing, skiing, whitewater boating, and other recreation this area has to offer, not only for what is available to do in the evenings or on single days, but also for the incredible variety that is accessible on weekend trips.

PU, you say the “city is lacking in many ways.” Care to elaborate? Is that why I see you—a CDA’ite—in Spokane city so often? grin.gifwave.gif The Spokane area really encompasses a metro area that includes the newly incorporated city of Spokane Valley, and stretches to the east across the Idaho border to Post Falls and Coeur d’Alene, although the US Census does not figure the Spokane MSA to include these Idaho communities—it’s a political thing. As far as jobs go, the economy is very two-tiered. The one main area where Spokane is really lacking (right, PU) is that of good jobs—Spokane has been hit hard and lost a lot of better paying jobs since ~2000 that have not been made up for. Generally the best positions here are in the health industry. In terms of pay, Spokane’s median pay is around $27K, which ranks it pretty low, especially in terms of its size, but the cost of living is fairly commensurate. Here's a breakdown of jobs and pay scales.

AaronB, at the risk of pissing you off further: maybe you need a better paying job than that which you had at Silver Mtn, a better car (and those drive times you listed will improve, except for the Wasatch, which is more accurate), and you need to learn to love yourself first! yelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

Sabertooth is the most objective and pretty right on. The only thing I would correct is one item on his list is way wrong: local crags for trad climbing is definitely a plus . Sabertooth, I don’t know how you missed that one. confused.gif

As far as the skiing goes, I can see how AaronB’d be bummin’ if he had to make the drive on I-90, then have to take that long ride in that gondola, 5 days a week—especially if it was to a low-paying job. Silver Mtn is my least favorite of the 5 area resorts, but it’s still a fine mountain according to many. Inland NW skiing does not generally compare to Utah and the ‘Satch, but it can if you know where to go and when, including the backcountry. One of the best-kept secrets of the CDA-Spokane area is that we have excellent day-trip access to world-class BC skiing—Minx, I’d be glad to take let you know more about it. Lastly re. snow stuff, another one of the skiing secrets about the Spokane area is that if you’re into skinny skis on groomed trails, Mt. Spokane is difficult to beat (quick access, big network of groomed trails, long season).

I’m not sure how old AaronB is, exactly where all he’s lived, skied and climbed, or what has him so upset. My experience? I’ve been skiing and have climbed in mountains for a happy 34 years, throughout the western US and Canada. I’ve traveled on ski and climb road trips throughout western NA, lived in 4 towns in the NW from Kalispell to Seattle (in addition to living as a kid in the northern midwest and east coast), and traveled in Europe and South America.

Minx, here’s some more stuff here at CC.com:

Spokane climbing

Climbing near Spokane

Climbing areas near Spokane on a hot day

And ski info from ttips:

Idaho at Easter

skiing north Idaho

Cheers, pindude bigdrink.gif

Good point on the trad. I should be thankful for Minne's trad routes, and the couple over at Dishman. It would be nice to have some more real crack climbs, though. There are many more local climbs that are sport in the Spokane area than Trad. Oh well.

Nice post, as usual.

Whenever you experience a major negative in a town, it's thumbs_down.gif for that place no matter what people say about it.

Eight years ago while moving cross country the U-Haul I was driving with all my crap in it plus my truck on a trailer were stolen from a Quality Inn parking lot. Luckily I snuck my dog into the room the evening before.

Sure Pindude, I could elaborate on the ways that spokane is lacking.

First, I am frequently spotted in the kan at two particular locations. The first being a local gear shop and the second being the crags. The climbing is good. Also, a positive note about spokane is that the citizens are concerned about there health. For example, on a given day I can find about a half dozen condoms and a couple needles at Minne. This is good because it shows that the safe sex message has really sunk in and the IV drug users are not reusing their needles.

Spokane as a city tends to have a negative vibe. This starts with the leadership of the city. Council members who can't get along and like to sue each other. Mayors that can't get re elected. A city that can't take care of its infrastructure.

I choose to live in Cd'a because the air is clean, even during an inversion. The city leadership has a common goal and the city is well taken care of. There is a lot of good climbing here, in town and close to town. Also, there is not a mountaineering club that is named after Cd'A. Although, you would think there was because they are always over here in the local pubs of Cd'A and at the local crags, bitching about idahoans as they use all of our recreational resources.

Spokane is good for a lot of things. The only time there is culture in Cd'A is during the summer when both playhouses are in full swing and there is free live music every week, weekend art or craft festivals, you know the usual lame shit.

Good things about spokane-

Lots of climbing and skiing, not world class but VERY good.

Cheap place to live.

Not many people gettin' out there, but just enough.

Local Mounties org is a good one with only a couple exceptions. Their names I know by heart. Not you Pindude. cantfocus.gif

Close to Cd'A.

All things considered, if you are a professional or skilled you will be able to find a job in the Kan that pays a decent wage. That wage will be enough to live on in the area. I would choose to live in the Kan as opposed to the west side any day.

A big plus is that within a 45 min radius of Spokcompton there are 8-9 local crags. cant beat that with a bat, Its nice in the summer cuz after work you can shoot over to your choice. A bad thing is people here drive like CRAP!

There are descent jobs, I found a good one in the matter of 2 days..with no effort. THere are a few multipitch places within a short driving distance, butt a little lacking, its worth a comprise for all the local choices.

Just watch out for the PBR Crew,,,

I dunno. Spokane is ok - climbing is fine and sking is fine, but the place just kinda grates on me for whatever reason. I guess I just wanna get outa here and scope out some different places. One thing that gets me is that the terrain and geography just kinda sucks for me. No big mountains or water to look at. Of course, not many places have these and you can get to mts up north and in Idaho, but nothing spectacular is real close. Spokane just seems kinda bland. I'll be outa here in a few weeks (graduate from GU) and everybody I know wants out too. Maybe in 20 years it will look more attractive for me, but right now it sure doesn't. By the way, if you move here, avoid the WalMart up on Wellesly - most depressing shopping ever. Every time I have been there the place seems to have been invaded by low income semi - crazy people.

AaronB, at the risk of pissing you off further: maybe you need a better paying job than that which you had at Silver Mtn, a better car (and those drive times you listed will improve, except for the Wasatch, which is more accurate), and you need to learn to love yourself first!

I don't get mad! I get GLAD!

I’m not sure how old AaronB is, exactly where all he’s lived, skied and climbed, or what has him so upset. My experience? I’ve been skiing and have climbed in mountains for a happy 34 years, throughout the western US and Canada. I’ve traveled on ski and climb road trips throughout western NA, lived in 4 towns in the NW from Kalispell to Seattle (in addition to living as a kid in the northern midwest and east coast), and traveled in Europe and South America.

And Pinup or dude or whatever.. You don't don't know how old I am, where I've lived, what kind of car I drive, because it hasn't taken me "34" years in the mountains to realize I don't need to spray about myself on the internet to express my opinion on a subject. Minx asked a question, I replied to it.

And another wonderfull addition to Spokane "the super safety expert" PINDUDE of the spokane mountaineers!! If you are being unsafe in anyway, at the local crags. NO WORRIES he'll lecture the shit out of you.. With only your safety in mind of course. hellno3d.gif

BTW pindude thanks for the helpful links in your post. They are of use. And I hope you don't take my posts too seriously grin.gif That would just make it more fun! cantfocus.gif

my two cents on Spokane:

I've only driven thru a couple times. don't know much about the place. but the common theme of the stuff I *have* heard can be summed up in two words: JESUS FREAKS.

the weirdest anecdote/story thereof came from a friend who worked for a while at the Washington State Employees Credit Union and took a job with the Spokane branch. she ended up having to leave in a few months cuz get this.... her coworkers (like *most* of them) were having prayer meetings in the damn bank!! and ON the clock... with the manager's approval! (and this is a pseudo-state-agency we're talking about)

hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

creepy, huh?

she said no one there was forced or coerced into doing this... but she was still made to feel like the black sheep for not joining in! so anyway, she complained to headquarters and the branch manager got reprimanded and had to put and end to the prayer sessions. Jen happily (and quickly) got transferred back to the Olympia branch.

Damn do I miss the close crags, sunshine, rivers, close skiing and open spaces in the Kan. Where I am on the wet side, the closest skiing, 1.5 hrs drive. The closest crag, 1.5 hrs. ...but Rainier 1.5 hrs. Guess we all live with compromise. Quit bitchin about what you don't have and appreciate what you do. ps will someone boulder @ Minne on their lunch break for me.

As far as Trad climbing goes. Chimney Rock is fairly close by and that's crack central.

Day skiing around Schwitzer and White Water are super duper. I've never been to 49 degrees N, but I bet that could be fun. There's bc skiing around.

I would agree that the urban scene probably sucks, but I'm sure you could find some fun in town stuff.

The fun I have missed by being away from this board...

I agree with just about everything you have to say, pu. I like CDA a lot too, in many ways better than Spokane. If you get on snow on a board or boards, I'd be glad to take you into the winter BC around here, and I'm not talking Tubbs Hill or Mt. Spokane. Many of the winter BC places I know are closer to CDA than Spokane.

Conversely, maybe you could show me where those condoms and needles are?--apparently, I've been missing where the parties are out there all these years, nothing new. Don't mean to chestbeat, but there is perhaps one person who has picked up more trash at Minne than I have--that's Bob Loomis. In all the pounds of trash I've picked up out there in 18+ years, I've seen less than that # of needles and condoms you mention, but of course it's gonna be out there, to some degree. We've done a lot to clean up that place, including having private security patrol at night (thanks County Parks) and sheriffs patrol in the day...but they do stick close to the road and stay in the parking areas. Let me know, and I'll bring a Sharps container.

AaronB, I'm glad you're glad. But don't make up sh*t about me like I am the "super safety expert." If you knew me, you'd know I'm not, but on the other hand I'm not passive if I see someone at the crags doing something that may kill them. Have fun in the Valley--hope you get good weather and get lots of vertical in.

OK, Gotta get back to my bible and prepare for my next work prayer meeting.

bigdrink.gif