bobsledding the ellinor chute

Blakej

Just got back from an excellent day up on ellinor practicing my axe arrest and doing a little glissading. The only thing that sucked is the glissade chute has been worn to a three foot deep rut in places making it feel much like like a bob sled course which was fun but hindered me pracitcing face first arrests. It was a blast though with snow roostertailing over me as I flew over several little "jumps". At the bottom I finally got around to building my first snow cave which really built my confidence in its durability. When I tried to wreck it jumping up and down just wouldn't do it. I ended up having to break it up with my shovel. I nice thought when you think of the random hiker not paying attention and walking over you. I am considering returning this weekend and testing different forms of snow anchors(flukes, pickets, bollards etc.) on the steep slopes to build confidence in their ability to hold me if I can manage to bum the equipment and find someone to join me. Any suggestions on safe methods to persue this. Would it be best to set up some form of belay or considering its a safe runout depend on axe arrest if the anchor fails. I'd hate to have a picket pop out and plant itself in my face. Anyone want to join me? I'll play crash test dummy number one.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To test your snow anchors, simply find a place where you have a steep slope with a flat area beneath it. Set your anchor on the steeps, and stand below and jump and down, pulling on your rope. Sometimes, an anchor that looks like garbage can hold four people pulling and jumping as hard as they can; in wet unconsnolidated mush, the best anchor you can muster will pull right out.