Chinese Rock

Thinker

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend mr x guided in China specifically for rock climbing for over a year. He just got back. He's been there a few times. I hear it's great. I think he was doinkin asians for fun since he probably couldnt get laid here. But that's another story.

I could ask him for info if you really want to know.

except that its the world famous karst in Yangshuo which is not in Vietnam....

hell, Indonesia has karst like that, so does Madagascar, Thailand, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Croatia

karst rockband.gif

Dru, or other geologist-type person,

Please explain "karst" to an ignoramous such as myself?

An area of irregular limestone in which erosion has produced fissures, sinkholes, underground streams, and caverns.

named after the town or valley of Karst in Croatia. Karst is a landform associated with heavily dissected and eroded massive limestone and dolomite. In general karst takes a long time to develop thus in the recently glaciated limestone Canadian Rockies there is minimal karst. There is some cool stuff on Vancouver Island, and the Alaska panhandle though that developed rapidly because its so damn wet.

just a few additional details for the so inclined: weak acids present in rain water (carbonic acid) through dissolution of atmospheric CO2 or decompostion of organic matter react with limestone (carbonation). as expected water flows from topo highs to lows where it tends to collect (water table, etc ..), picks up more acids (where soils and vegies are) and dissolves limestone. through this positive feedback, ever more dissolution of limestone occurs in the topo lows. karst landscapes thus result from differential erosion that initially arises from small perturbations in the topography.

Those pics of Croatia on Summit Post are sick. That looks like awesome country. rockband.gif

This is not a place for peak baggers as there are no imposing peaks around. Those that seek beautiful nature should not avoid Stap

poor klenke, beautiful but no peak bagging cry.gifwink.gif