Snowmobile in a crevasse on Baker

Loose_Brie

Did most of the Easton this weekend. On Saturday 2 snowmobilers rode up to us and asked if we had seen anyone with a matching snowmachine.

Appearantly, someone drove into a cravasse above 9000'. They fell 100' (or so I am told) and are alive but beaten up. The sled is gone!

Anyone know anything else?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a little pie-slice of land that runs up the Easton glacier thats a 'recreation area' not a wilderness area...snowmobilers are allowed to high-mark the moraines and fall into crevasses to their heart's delight up there and its legal.

there is a little pie-slice of land that runs up the Easton glacier thats a 'recreation area' not a wilderness area...snowmobilers are allowed to high-mark the moraines and fall into crevasses to their heart's delight up there and its legal.

Yes, there is, but IIRC it doesn't go to 9000', or to the crater where I've seen them every time I've been up there.

Talking to a buddy of mine durring Easter dinner yesterday, he mentioned that he was on Baker Saturday doing some 'biling and breifly talked with the guy who lost his machine. He had some head lacerations but seemed pretty good for a dude who had ridden a snowmobile off an 80' drop.

I thought I'd try to talk some sense into my friend about riding snowmobiles on glaciers but, he's convinced it's safe to follow other riders tracks.

Yes, there is, but IIRC it doesn't go to 9000', or to the crater where I've seen them every time I've been up there.

it actually does go to the crater...at least on the maps I have...not that I am adovcating it. HCL.gif

A friend and I climbed the Easton Sat. We made the summit with a couple of skiers. We met back up with the skiers at the bottom and the told us that they had to help a snowmobiler out of a crevasse. Apparently the rider saw it but thought it was narrow enough to ride over but it was undercut and fell out form beneath him dropping him 80 ft. Apparently he was gone for an hour. The other riders ended up finding him by his avy beacon. The other riders tried to get him out but they only had a 40 ft rope. As luck would have it, the skiers came upon there dilema and used there rope and harness to get the guy out. The lucky guy only had a cut on his lip and a new respect for crevasses.

HAHAHAAH. What a jackass. Thankfully he's ok so we can make fun of him all we want. The fact that they are allowed on the actually glaciers on baker is ridiculously stupid. If they dont get it out and it ends up getting encased in ice for hundreds of years, that is pretty damn funny smile.gif

The bad part is the oil and other non bio degradable elements to include the machine itself for instance are polluting the streams below.

ALthough I dont agree with taking them up there and not talking about range and location when I say that- I do think snowmobiles have a place in our country. Anyone can simply ridicule people. That is another discussion that people can blow up here if they want to.

I think they have a place. I'll be accepting rides when I can and think a little more open minded than the suggestion.

In fact if you want to revert to wildeness ethics you might as well just spray about bolts, snowmobiles, helicopters, roads, motor powered boats, cars, logging and get it over with in one shot for some good spray. I could list one or 2 more but I think we get the idea..

I think they have a place. I'll be accepting rides when I can and think a little more open minded than the suggestion.

In fact if you want to revert to wildeness ethics you might as well just spray about bolts, snowmobiles, helicopters, roads, motor powered boats, cars, logging and get it over with in one shot for some good spray. I could list one or 2 more but I think we get the idea..

I completely agree with you. I think that mankind (and womenkind too) really is overstating their own significance in nature. I mean, we are just a tick on the balls of existence. Eventually, we are going to get flicked off, or better yet, blow up in fountain of blood...and nature will purge our shitty little contribution. I say enjoy it all. Extreme snowmobile crevass jumping should be the next Olympic sport. There really isn't any Wilderness left to have ethics about, so that spray is mute. It's all been 'had'. Enjoy it.

Whatever.

we have ridden machines on the Easton, and it rocks!

I once spent a day with only one other person on the entire south side of Baker.

It was january, and the snow was good, and it was sunny.

That person would then ride away, leaving me to snowboard down.

I guess I rode about 25,000+ vertical feet that day....Yeah, snow machines suck.

Edited by lancegranite

About two years ago, a friend of mine was teaching crevasse rescue to a bunch of kids on the Easton. One of the kids called up that she could see some skis down in the crevasse and that there was something red down there. My buddy decided to rappel down and have a look. Turns out it was a snowmobile, jammed way down in the crevasse.

Like the snowmobile my buddy found, I think it is very unlikely that they will retrieve the machine that fell in the crevasse the other day...

Jason

Edited by Jason_Martin