[TR] Mt. Rainier- Fuhrer Finger 4/11/2004

jdog

Climb: Mt. Rainier-Fuhrer Finger

Date of Climb: 4/11/2004

Trip Report:

Climbed and skiied the Finger/upper Nisqually on Sunday. Less than desireable ski from the top down to about 13k, but after that you could find patches of good snow and the Finger itself was absolutely awesome. The snow was like butter. We were not the only ones out. I think more than 10 people skiied the route that day. The ski down the Nisqually with a full pack was a blast. I could not believe how good the snow was. Mother Nature delivered this weekend. The conditions were like July, except with plenty of snow.

If it is skiing you want I would highly recommend just hiking to the top of the Finger and skiing it. Make a nice day trip.

Gear Notes:

Why did we bring a rope? Dead Weight.

Approach Notes:

Take skis. Post holing looked like it sucked on the approach.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't really know exactly, but the chute gets icy and real narrow by the first week of June. I think the rocks start coming down before that. The tail of my ski caught one of those hidden rocks nearly spinning me out.

I figure a few more weeks. However, you need to time it just right. Later in the day its way to mushy, to early way to icy. To late in the season, its a bowling alley.