[TR] Little Annapurna- Snow Creek TH through to Stuart Lk. TH 4/10/2004

Greg_W

Climb: Little Annapurna-Snow Creek TH through to Stuart Lk. TH

Date of Climb: 4/10/2004

Trip Report:

I got the jones to traverse the Enchantments again, but couldn't find a partner so, I went solo. For some reason, I had the desire to do it at night. I cached a bike as far as I could drive up the road to the Stuart Lk. TH Friday night and then slept for two hours just up the road from the Snow Lakes TH. Awake at 11PM, and on the trail by 11:30PM, I headed out. There are a few downed trees on the trail below SCW, but not much snow. Past SCW, there is a lot of blowdown and the snow starts. My original plan was to make it to Lake Vivianne by 4 a.m., or so, and be on Little Annapurna by dawn. I failed to take into account the difficulty of navigating snow-covered trails by headlamp. I didn't really lose the trail too many times, but did some searching and backtracking to stay on course (especially below Nada Lake). I was moving fairly well, but it still took me about seven plus hours to make it to Vivianne. I don't know what I could have done different given the conditions to speed up, but anyway. Sunrise at the lake was beautiful, but cold. The snow was variable, depending on the slope aspect; there was good styrofoam in places, with crusted-over sugar in others.

Halway across the basin, I took a longer break as I was feeling spent. I wrapped up in a space blanket and took about a 20 minute power nap with the sweet growling of death metal in my ears. Slightly refreshed, I headed off for Little Annapurna. The summit was beautiful - awesome views of Rainier, Stuart, Baker, Glacier, and TONS of other peaks. By this time, it was shirtsleeve weather - totally bluebird. The first people I saw were a pair of climbers heading up the walkup route on Dragontail.

I hit Asgard and headed down; again, the snow was variable. I wore my aluminum crampons down and was glad to have them in a few places. A huge slide path had come down on climber's right just above the lake. I found out later that it had come down during the night. Crossing the lake was a little nervewracking as I was alone, but it seems pretty solid (a few soft spots near the northern shore). Hike out was uneventful except for meeting Travis and Dave who gave me a ride back to my truck. Thanks, guys.

Gear Notes:

Standard shit

Some shit I didn't need

snowshoes (used)

aluminum crampos (used)

ice axe (used, but unnecessary)

the same 30' of webbing I took on McClellan (still clueless)

Stove and pot (didn't use, found plenty water on both sides of the plateau)

space blanket (used)

PalmPilot with mp3's (deathmetal rocks for hiking)

Approach Notes:

LOTS of blowdown above SCW

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Slayer this time, Ben: Lacuna Coil, Nevermore, Hell Promise, Strapping Young Lad, and more...

jja - Prusik looks good. South face routes were dry. West Ridge was looking good; might be some icy spots back in the cracks or in shaded areas.