Mt Saint Helens Summit?

scot'teryx

Has anyone climbed the Worm Flows Climbing Route on Helens in the past month or so? We are heading out this Wednesday night to camp at Marblemount and then ascend Thursday morning. Seems to be a simple route and well marked. Curious as to what conditions might be. Is it hiked often this time of year? Will we find many others out there? Or are we just going to find a bunch of snowmobilers making toxic fumes on the mountain? Would you consider this to be a good climb for some students in a Glacier Climbing Course? From what the ranger said this morning, there is only a small portion towards the top which can be somewhat steep (angle?) and requires snowshoes with cleats or crampons. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Harder

scott@nwog.org

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the worm flow route in april of last year from the lower parking lot (not the climbers bivoauc) and it is a very non-technical route. And yes, you will be accompanied by some 'bilers all the way to the crater. Watch out for flying schmidt and used oil cans.

The route is just a long slog, but you do need to be concerned about avlanche. The slopes above the tree line are prime targets for slides, especially when heated up by the afternoon sun.

I didn't use crampons or snowshoes at all on my trip up to the crater, but I would reccomend bringing your board(s) if you are into that sort of thing because it would be a great ride!

Just be sure to check the avalanche forecasts before you head up, and use precaution on avalanche prone slopes.

have fun!

t

I honestly don't remember, I know we started around 8, and were eating dinner in a fancy eatery called Spiffy's by 6. Check the route books for specific stats on elevation gain, time needed for travel. If you are taking a group up for rope travel practice, this of course will increase your trip time, but some of the slopes might give you guys a good chance to practice some arrest skills.

But if you are looking for true glacier travel practice, I think you should head up to the nisqually!

Have fun, you should have beautiful weather and views from the rim of the crater. Be sure to write up a TR.

TIMMAY