Cirque of Towers, early season?

Jake_Gano

Anybody been up there end-of-May-ish? Guidebook says there may still be snow, others have said to expect full on winter conditions. I don't mind dealing with the snow if it keeps the crowds away, but I'm not in the mood for any hell-ish cold expedition conditions.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The earliest I've been in the cirque is mid june and it's fine but you can still get some isolated crazy weather and you'll be on snow in the cirque, for sure. I've done extended hiking in the winds through out may w/o severe winter weather. Nobody is there, for sure. The "crowds" in the Winds is pretty relative too. Even in August it's not that bad... and even in the cirque. People have to work fairly hard to get there so it weeds out most of the goatfuckers. Plus people really spread out too, ya know? You'll see a 70 cars in the Big sandy trailhead lot during peak season but wonder where they all went when you get into the backcountry.

If you are climbing then really pay attention to slabs of snow on still hanging on those peaks. They really put on some shows when they finally break free, for sure. It happens day and night.

Also, keep in mind just about nobody is in the cirque til after mid july. No reason to hurry. I'd let the snow melt out abit.

I was in the winds for the first 20 days of may last year. The first 10 it snowed every day. The second 10 it cleared up with highs in the low 40's and lows in the single digits. Year to year it can varry a lot. The skeeters should not be bad that early, but many of the ledges will have snow on them.

"crowds" in the Winds is pretty relative too. Even in August it's not that bad... and even in the cirque. People have to work fairly hard to get there so it weeds out most of the goatfuckers. Plus people really spread out too, ya know? You'll see a 70 cars in the Big sandy trailhead lot during peak season but wonder where they all went when you get into the backcountry.

I noticed exactly the same thing when I was out there last August. Big Sandy TH was overflowing. I encountered several parties on my way up, mostly around Big Sandy Lake. The only people I saw around the Cirque were by Lonesome Lake. I don't think anybody happened by my campsite.