[TR] Garibaldi Neve- 4/8/2004

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conditions were pretty heinous on that last run down to sentinel: wind pack with breakable crust, slush and a little bit o'corn. Dru performed outstandingly for his first ever backcountry tour (and seventh time on skis) He did well to heed my craters, a few hurt... cantfocus.gif

My best day ever skiing was 17 miles in ten hours between 9k' and 11.5k'

But I was 25 and in shape... grin.gif

Nice run Sal thumbs_up.gif

bigdrink.gif

I saw yours and fern's tracks down the sentinal and it looked like terrible ski conditions, a whole mixed bag of conditions. Did you guy's take the high or low route from the sharks fin. I went high to avoid the few crevasses and to lengthen the ski run down! Congrats on your first trip over the neve drew. We should meet up for some Garabaldi granite in september. I Love that area!

He said it wasn't too bad - it is pretty flat all the way over from Brohm Ridge, except for the drop down to the Pass. An easy day, he says. And he said the rock is amongst the best he has seen in the alpine. But still, I agree - a long walk for short routes.

The Pacheco's went in there twice, I think - once by themselves, and the second with Spag...the only repeats, then, were by the FAers!

It sounds like his route on Davidson is a longer, tougher walk, although at least the actual route is longer. Lorne was puking and hallucinating that the Swedish Bikini Team was on the Cheakamus Glacier by the time they finished! ...However, that is a good hallucination!

I saw yours and fern's tracks down the sentinal and it looked like terrible ski conditions, a whole mixed bag of conditions.

we were following a college group of 12, so many tracks were not ours. Mine could be distinguished by the lack of craters tongue.gif

Did you guy's take the high or low route from the sharks fin. I went high to avoid the few crevasses and to lengthen the ski run down!

the low route I guess. We just followed the majority of tracks down through the crevasses skiers' right of the Sharkfin. have fun in YT.

After wandering half way around the Spearhead on Saturday in a whiteout (hey Fern, how did you guys do after we split up?), we salvaged the weekend by having a fun day out on the Neve. Got fried by the sun. A little less than 11 hours car to car, with lots of lounging in the sun along the way.

The Neve is still in great condition. Snow started about 600m up the Diamond Head trail, and then it went all the way down the Barrier Trail to about KM4.5 (mid-way down the upper switch backs). Lake still well frozen and in good travelling condition. No crevasse issues on the Neve itself. 'Schrund on Garibaldi totally covered.

Didn't see much of the Spearhead even though we did the first 40% of it. Few slots. Good travelling conditions. A cast of thousands blindly following our tracks (but they would have had a good Sunday). Note that Blackcomb is now closed until July (Whistler is still open).

A cast of thousands blindly following our tracks (but they would have had a good Sunday).

You must have been the group crossing below Decker when we were on the East Col. We only went as far as Decker where we spent the day doing laps. thumbs_up.gif We did see a lone woman (Fern?) turn around and head towards Blackcomb.

I was suprised there weren't more people out there. Did you run into a guy skinning uphill while wearing a huge yellow down jacket? wazzup.gif He was one of the last two guys we saw heading off into the murk at the top of Decker. We couldn't understand how he wasn't just melting into the snow.

that was Isabel that turned around at Decker. Snoboy and I turned back at the Ripsaw after sitting around in the clouds. Then a graceless turn resulted in a busted binding and a ski in a crevasse and so on and so on . We got back to the village in time to watch the last 4 huckers at the big air contest at Whistler though. Rip It Up LOL!!!

If anybody knows Dave P. from Kenmore WA and other Dave and Rick tell them thanks for the spare binding part, I will buy them a pitcher if I ever see them again.

I would have liked to do the Neve too ... but I wrekked up my neck in the busted binding piledriver incident.

Lake still well frozen and in good travelling condition.

Sadly, this is no longer true. Crossing Garibaldi Lake yesterday was perhaps the most miserable 2 hours I've ever experienced with skis on my feet. Here's what we had to deal with, and this was a shallow spot:

slush.jpg

Otherwise, the Neve is still in great shape!