[TR] Ellinor- chute 4/10/2004

Fairweather

Climb: Ellinor-chute

Date of Climb: 4/10/2004

Trip Report:

Took the kid up Ellinor this morning for a little exercize. The road is still snow covered about a half mile past the lower trailhead in that shaded area that where the snow always seems to linger (est 3100 feet), but it is melting fast. The bypass trail to the upper parking area and on up the wooded ridge is snow free all the way to Big Rock, just below the first meadow. Still a bit of a cornice on summit. The chute glissade is in bob-sled condition. Time up 2hrs, 30min. time down 1hr, 5min.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like fun. Three of us bushwacked up the ridge that is betwen Ellinor and Washington running SE off of 'A' Peak. We went up and got A and B peaks, and had a good look the Horse's Mouth. My buddy lost dropped his helmet off 'A' Peak towards Ellinor, in case anyone stumbles upon it. It smacked rock a couple times on the way down, so don't trust it for your own brain bucket.

• 5 weeks later...

At the top of the chute, you find yourself in a small bowl, perhaps 50 to 100 yards wide. Head left, up the rise that forms one edge of the bowl, and it flattens out a little. Then head up to the summit, nearby, probably no more than 100 yards off. You know you are there because it drops right down the other side. BIG TIME. Does this sound familiar?

(It's been a number of years, but yes: I have been there enough times to talk about it. Fairweather? Does this sound right?)

FYI--several approach variations are flagged up Jeff Creek. Route 7 is easily found from the small lake up through the alder. A Goat carcass litters the worst section this year, but soon you're into the basin that leads up to the ridge. Tread lightly on the the creek moss...

The glass on the road is from me have to break a window to retrieve the keys I had just locked in my car.

Flying Ned

I'm considering heading up there myself either this weekend or the next! Let me know how it goes!!

mattp, your description is right on the dot!

I did hit the summit then. I remember seeing the bowl, yet there was fog rolling in and the visibility was around 50 feet. I remember looking at it like "what the hell is this?". Kept on the foot tracks that went to the left and up between two rock outcroppings. When on top of this, it did flatten a bit then I saw foot prints to the summit, or what I thought was. Yes it did drop off VERY steep on the backside. I was just surprised at how big the 'crater' was and pretty flat.