Snowline on Eldorado

meganerd

Hey, for all who have headed to the Eldorado area recently, where does one hit snow on the Eldo Creek Approach trail? Can one get to the talus fields ~2000 feet up without much snow? Basically, I'm wondering if I could do this part in the dark on Sunday because of the crappy afternoon snow conditions that are expected (I've only got one day) and I'll be by myself. On that note, is there any significant reason that going solo could be hazardous to my health right now? I've been there before, but in summer and with a partner.

Oh yes and I don't ski, so snowshoes? yes/no?

Edited by meganerd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No snow to the talus fields. Probably not much snow left in the first talus field by now. Find the trail and you'll be fine. Just make sure you find it. Take flotation, that snow gets SOFT in the afternoon...we were hating life even on skis. No real crevasse danger last weekend..enjoy the slogging.

Cross the big log where the sign is next to the river - if it's doable and both are still there. Then it's kinda sorta front and left from there. If you can cross the big log then you're set. If not then I suggest crossing the river (looking at the river) then bush bash (which I have had to do once last year) forward and left. Snoop and follow your nose. The trail can be faint but human use is obvious. Once you get on it and 200 meters from the river you should not be able to loose it in my opinion.

Oh yeah- The big log and sign I am talking about it not directly across from the parking lot. I remember it being some distance between 50-100 meters left (as if looking at the river) from the parking lot. There's usually a good short trail of about 50 meters to the river and sign... Good luck next time...

Went to try to find the trail this last weekend and ended up crashing around a bunch of fallen trees and wasting a lot of time. madgo_ron.gif

i think i'm glad we decided we didn't want to drive all the way to the TH after reading your TR! hope you had fun anyway.

OK rolleyes.gif let me try to do this is a non-offensive manner (after getting all of my posts nuked):

Beware going too far left after crossing the river as you may end up in the Roush Creek drainage... if you climb more than 300 vertical feet without finding the trail then head to the right toward Eldorado Creek, as the trail follow Eldorado Creek up to the boulder field. Due to blowdowns and flood effects there are several small forks in the trail near the river. One such fork passes right by a very large boulder, which is a little ways upstream (to the right) from the river crossing.

Here is a photo of the log crossing. If you can cross there you will be on the trail and will not have to schwack.

332985-log.JPG

Huh, we never saw anything like that. When was that photo taken? Maybe there has been some high-water alteration to the riverscape, resulting in some of the recent confusion.

Edited by ashw_justin

We've got one person who knows what there talking about because they've been there a bunch in the last few years, and one person who who knows what they're talking about because they couldn't find the trail last week after looking for 2 hours in the brush.

Maybe here's a little clarification from someone that was up there last week and didn't have any trouble finding the trail after crossing the creek....

From the parking lot I looked (in daylight) for the sign that would lead to a log crossing. I didn't look upstream from the gate so unless it's that direction the sign is gone.

From all descriptions of years past, the creek crossing has changed quite a bit over the winter. And they don't quite match up to any sort of straightforward crossing as in the past. There is gravel bar and log jam 10-20 yds downstream from the parking lot. The trail from the parking lot to the river leads to a shallow crossing, but there is no good log to cross on there. From the same point you can look downstream 10-20 yds and see the start of the log jam and gravel bar.

One thing is certain, once you have crossed the river, the trail is located DIRECTLY ACROSS from the parking lot. If I were to give my best guess about exactly where it is, it is across from the out house. There is no reason to fight your way up hill in order to find the trail, it goes to the edge of the river where the slide alder and devils club starts.

If you cross the river at the log jam, get through the brush at the left (downstream) edge of the gravel bar, go right (up stream) for 10-20yds in the trees you'll find the trail easily. If you cross the river at the log jam and go left you'll get lost like people did last week. If you cross the river in the shallow bar where the trail is from the parking lot, then you'll want to go slightly left in order to find the trail. Also, the trail doesn't go left or right from the river, it goes straight. If anything it makes a slight (very slight) veer right from the river.

The picture does not represent what the crossing looks like anymore. It is washed out with a gravel bar and log jam now. The only place where that could be now is slightly upstream from the parking lot?

The trail is not elusive; if you don't find the trail right away, your going the wrong direction (either too far left, or you went too far right and found Eldorado Creek)..

Let's just say that I didn't know where the trail was and I stumbled upon it a few yards after crossing the creek (at the log jam). I don't know how anybody would miss it.... cantfocus.gif

The picture does not represent what the crossing looks like anymore. It is washed out with a gravel bar and log jam now. The only place where that could be now is slightly upstream from the parking lot?

That pic was from last May (I believe) and it was, as Caveman said, 50-100 meters downstream from the parking lot.

That pic was from last May (I believe) and it was, as Caveman said, 50-100 meters downstream from the parking lot.

If that's the case, it's gone and looks incredibly different now. 50-100 meters downstream is a large open gravel bar and log jam. There are a couple of options for crossing, but none of them offer a large log that goes completely across the river as shown in the river.

This thread is kicking major ass!

You should have seen it before we got all our posts wiped out... I even got accused of namedropping... And now it looks like I just got reamed by some old-timers for no good reason. Guys, just because I am relatively new to this forum, doesn't mean I am completely FOS. Ok? Being a whitewater kayaker for several years I know my river shizit. I thought you guys had actually been there this year, otherwise I would have called BS right away. Flood events change river crossings every year.

Edited by ashw_justin

I'm not sure if that big log is there anymore. Seems like a lot of scouring happened this past winter (maybe also on Oct. 20).

Here's how we crossed. We found the trail almost immediately after crossing. There were some marker stakes with red "flags" on the top partially guiding the way:

From the parking lot, walk back down the road (west) for maybe 100 yards. There will be a wide stretch of creekbed here with four streams forking through separate gravel bars. Crash through minor brush (little trees) from the road to the bank to find a two-foot wide log pointing upstream (almost parallel to the stream flow). This log has seen a lot of foot traffic (very churned on the top). It has some branches to negotiate past. At the low, far end of the log I made a step to the left across the second stream fork by using a rock in the middle. This rock was inundated on the return, so I had to go Sergio's way on the return. Sergio's way was to walk around the log's roots to a very small 6-inch log that led across the second stream fork just about where it bifurcates from the southernmost (first) fork. The 6-inch log crossing was about 10 feet long but was quite doable with trekking poles for support. After that, the third fork was stepped across by using a rock thrown into the middle. It was about 10 feet across. This crossing was located by walking back downstream about 200 feet---stepping/hoisting over a large downed log at about halfway. The fourth and final fork is crossed up and onto a horizontal log lying parallel to the streambed. Taking this east about twenty feet, you can then mount another log at a perpendicular angle and get onto the opposite (north) bank. There is a minor backwater to negotiate but there are plenty of ways around it. Once into the forest, veer wide right and search for the trail that may be paralleling the creek for a short stretch before heading up hill. Take the time early to find the trail in the flat before deciding to begin crashing up hill.

This thread is kicking major ass!

You should have seen it before we got all our posts wiped out... I even got accused of namedropping...

I didn't even notice that until just now. yelrotflmao.gif

Another note about how different the crossing apparently is now.

I was just looking at the aerial photo of the crossing:

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=3193&y=26863&z=10&w=1

The large open gravel bar and log jam that I am describing is about the size if not bigger than the parking lot itself. The aerial photo doesn't show it at all so it looks as though the big rains this fall/winter changed the crossing quite a bit...

My "fuss" was that I said "I discourage going left" and things got little interesting... but most of what Cave and I said was fair, and still informative. I just wish that those who didn't really have any reason to be posting had kept their mouths shut. You know who you are.

Edited by ashw_justin

This is a rough approximation of Sergio's and my route across the river. Use at your own risk. Follow the pink arrows.

Stream fork 1 was crossed using the big log. Fork 2 was crossed either by a small rock in mid-stream or by the 6-inch log. Getting around the roots to the 6-inch log can be interesting with the footwork. Fork 3 was crossed using a small rock thrown into the middle of the stream. Forks 1 and 2 are fast moving. Fork 3 is not deep or fast but a boot soaker nonetheless. Fork 4 required an interesting step up onto the log as it is about three feet from the gravel bar. On the return, this was easily jumped.

333050-Eldorado%20Creek%20Crossing.jpg

5a1a55ac170d2_333050-EldoradoCreekCrossing.jpg.1fe7d91ef44299cf0e7978a5b177da53.jpg

This is a rough approximation of Sergio's and my route across the river. Use at your own risk. Follow the pink arrows.

Stream fork 1 was crossed using the big log. Fork 2 was crossed either by a small rock in mid-stream or by the 6-inch log. Getting around the roots to the 6-inch log can be interesting with the footwork. Fork 3 was crossed using a small rock thrown into the middle of the stream. Forks 1 and 2 are fast moving. Fork 3 is not deep or fast but a boot soaker nonetheless. Fork 4 required an interesting step up onto the log as it is about three feet from the gravel bar. On the return, this was easily jumped.

333050-Eldorado%20Creek%20Crossing.jpg

Great drawing! It should be noted that almost the whole area in Klenke's drawing is open terrain. It looks like it was scrubbed clean this last winter and now consists of gravel (on left) and debris (on right). The backwater has lot's of brush and not something you want to go through.

The same morning that Klenke and Sergio came through, JB, Jerry and I used the 8 inch log with no trouble. We ended up going more left of the backwater area and then made easy traveling to the right and found the trail 10-20yds later heading north.

On the way back we were still able to cross the 8 inch log even though the water was higher. The roots on the road side are good handholds and we could use our ski poles for easy balance most of the way across.

Tod

there is no 'schwack...

If our reckless band of thugs can find it at 3am in the pitch blackness of night only moments after crossing the stream, then anyone can do it! fruit.gif

P.S. I'm pretty sure that thick-ass tree that Cavey posted is definitely NOT there anymore otherwise this wouldn't even be a thread. bigdrink.gif