climberbro16

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by climberbro16:

What would be a good 2-3 day climb to take my dad on. He has lots of hiking experiance but has never climbed. What would be a good climb to take him on that is not to boring but not to difficult either. Im looking for alpine or glacier climbs.Any Suggestions?

Chris

You might want to try east ridge of Eldorado - the ridge makes for stupendous views, and the approach is a nice hike. Might not be the best for him if he's not comfortable with exposure though.

Carl

Colchuck lake. Then do Dragontail by either Asgar pass or the colchuck glacier. Or do Colchuck pk which would be the easiest. These are hikes with some scrambling. The glacier is small but can be frozen and hard. Take screws if you do it just to be sure. Or if you want rock climbing, do Ingalls pk.

Bug,

I have done Dragontail and descended it twice. One time this spring\winter. I never remembered any place for screws (unless tied off ones on Triple Couloirs or any scrambling on rocks (although perhaps in late season?). I think one could climb Dragontail via Aasgard pass with just ice axe and crampons through snow.

If you feel like your dad could become uncomfortable take a rope. I have never seen crevasses via Aasgard Pass.

I do agree that Colchuck is a good idea too. Probably better position..

Ingalls uhuh uhuh [big Grin]

[ 06-10-2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Check. The screws would only be for the Colchuck glacier if it is frozen and hard. A newbie on ice could end up like the recent tragedies on Rainier. A running belay or two could be a life saver and at least make the trip a little more relaxed.

I'd recommend staying off the glaciers if he is inexperienced. I support the suggestion af a climb in the Olympics. Beautiful approaches and moderate snow slopes generally. The Brothers is a great 2 day climb and the approach through Valley of the Silent Men is one of the prettiest I've seen.

On the other hand Sahale has a pretty benign glacier and puts you in a spectacular position!

[ 06-10-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

I'd recommend staying off the glaciers if he is inexperienced. ... On the other hand Sahale has a pretty benign glacier and puts you in a spectacular position!

I'd recommend staying off any rock climb with an older, inexperienced climber, and I'd look for a climb that doesn't involve thousands of feet of talus. But, all other things being equal, go for the "pretty benign glacier" for the scenic value. Sahale, Mount Ruth, Mount Watson, aren't there good climbs up in Royal Basin? ...