chemistry question

lummox

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lummox is most likely talking about a solution of ammonia in water (or ammonium hydroxide), the pH of which is in the 9's depending on concentration. Cracked is probably right. The bleach is the sodium salt or conjugate base of a very weak acid hence it is a strong base. The real question is, why do you want to know? By the way, don't mix the two, or you'll be sorry.

Mmmm... ammonia and bleach. When I was 16, I was working in a restaurant, and charged with cleaning some nasty old towels. I figured bleach works well, and ammonia works well, so if I mix them, they should work doubly well. Mixed about 1 pint of each in a pail, and put in the towels. It made a noxious whitish cloud, and cleared out the kitchen.

Catbird, what is that stuff? Phosgene gas or something?

well so much for my chemistry. I know nitrogen trichloride can be a product at some point, and as far as I know, that stuff is nasty.

NCl3 is an explosive.

Try mixing Amonia and Iodine together you get NI3. Also a very unstable explosive it can be a lot of fun for practical jokes. On second thought no one try this you will kill yourself.

A certain amount of nitrogen trichloride is generated in swimming pools, because little kids like to pee in the water. The chlorine used to disinfect the water reacts with urea. Those who swim indoors frequently always seem to have the sniffles. I think it is from the NCl3. It's really not good for you.

my first year in college i worked at round table pizza; most of the coworkers were college kids or recent mexican immigrants. the owner was one of those fukkers you (most of us there) just love(d) to hate. guy looked like a texas cop... big beergut, balding, mustache, evil little porcine eyes.

annyway, you're probably wondering WHY i'm brining this up. sometimes one or more of the college kids would grumble about how much we had to use bleach & other chemicals, and he would say it was necessary for health code n' all. then he would sorta mumble to himself, with slightly clenched teeth, "...i LOVE bleach.." hahaha.gif

tgif, all y'all biiatches!!

fruit.gif