performance tele boots?

jimmyo

I have 6 yo T-2s (2 buckle). Last year put in the heat moldable Garmont liners. They are very soft in the cuff on forward flex. I'd like something better for the hairy stuff, glaciers and steeps, and also for bombing at the lifts, something with more torsional rigidity that can deliver responsiveness out of my boards (mostly 2003 Rossi Bandit XXX these days, couple others).

What are the new generation T-2s like? Compare the t-1s? I wont' go T-Race. and the garmont ener-g and syner-G? Crispis? Experience re touring, steeps, performance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy O, Seattle

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jimmyo-

I have gone through almost the same path as you.

Last winter I put Intuition liners in my old t-2s. I liked the upgrade in fit, and felt it made me ski better. This winter though, I started to feel like I was overpowering the boots quite often.

Now I ski the T-1, and primarily the MegaBang. I have kept the old t-2, as I am unsure of whether I want to tour in the big boot. Ener-G has a funny flex, it gets real stiff at a certain point, and while I never skied it, I did not like the feel of it in the shop. thumbs_down.gif

I think that the boot has been a big factor in my recent jump in ability level. That and the skis. Well matched IMO.

So, what do I like about the T-1? Well, the real buckles rock. I find I t-turn more often, because teleing is actually much easier in big boots than little ones. I can carve on hardpack. I ski a lot faster, with more confidence.

Dislike? The weight. Even with the thermo liners, I feel the weight of them, although I would say a day on the lifts is less tiring overall. They are lower volume than my old boots, so the fit is still not dialed yet.

Me 6'2", 215lbs

my skis - 185 MegaB, and 188 Mira

binding - G3 Targa.

cj posted a pic of an AT boot. Let's not even go there. tongue.gif

I was actually serious. Up until last April I skiied solely on Supercomps (or Snowfields!). I went looking for an increase in torsional rigidity, because 6 year older Supercomps weren't cutting it. I tried T2's (tele'd alright, couldn't extract performance I wanted) Looked at T1's & T-Race's - but the drawbacks of weight, size and lack of true touring ability made me choose AT gear. YMMV. I haven't looked back.

i've upgraded this year to the new t2s, coming from old 2 buckle t2s with intuition liners. i feel that the extra buckle and bit of added height make quite a bit of difference in terms of support...the shells also seem somewhat lighter and more streamlined in design than the old ones.

i like the new boots a lot better than the old ones, however the old ones were a size to big, so this has quite a bit to do with the perceived performance improvement.

never skied t1s so can't compare.

i use the t1 but i've only tele'd one season and can't compare them to anything but alpine boots. they are much more comfortable and nicer to tour in. LOL. they are quite stiff and tend to overpower little me once my legs start to go (which doesn't take long). but that said, coming from an alpine background i like the support of the t1 a lot and feel like i could ski the same stuff once i acquire the necessary skills. they come with a thermoform liner.