getting back into the grove

wormfighter6

I am finally able to climb after being forced to take an entire year off from climbing due to an accident. I took a 30 ft whipper last year and tore up my shoulder. cry.gif I still do not have full range of motion and still have a fair amount of pain when I raise my hand above my shoulder. Any tips on climbing with limited use of one arm. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Peshitstain, that place sucks.

Darrington

Squish

Slab it up! Stay on the granite, the climbing is better than on poorly consolidated sandstone, so you can worry about the climbing, and not the rock. You want to get your confidence back, not freak yourself out on sketchy shit. Also, slab work will keep your arms low, for the most part, so your shoulder can get activiated in a range of motion that won't be pushing it to the max. You'll also get some hand stength back. Then, steepen the angle to match your condition. Best wishes!!

If you really want to get back into the "grove" you will be climbing trees. Getting back into the "groove" could be alot of things.

I'll bet Static point is great right now. If you haven't been there, go there now. Excellent slab climbing outside Sultan. Mainline is a nice starting point with a few pitches. If you want to top out it gets into the 9+ - 10a range but that part is well protected with shiny 3/8 bolts. The lower two or three pitches are 5.7, 5.8, 5.8. The approach will get you warmed up too.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure your road to recovery is a slow and gradual one. I'm recovering from a compressed disk in my back. I'm climbing again after 20 months of not climbing I'm slowly working my way back into the grove. I consult a physical therepist often and I don't ever push it. Know limits and don't try to push beyond them. Good job on getting back in the saddle.